Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 10, 2020

I don't like these little boxes Word (office 365) displays when I highlight text or copy text (Cntrl + v). In the latter case a little box appears one row lower and hides part of the text. I would like to make Word stop this practise but don't know how. Is it possible?

MollyRose

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:21
English to Finnish
+ ...
Try pressing the "ESC" key. Jan 10, 2020

Works in my Word 2016. Moi.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:21
English to German
You can disable it Jan 10, 2020

See here or do a search for "Office 365 disable paste options".

Giuliana Maltempo
Giuliana Maltempo
Argentina
Local time: 16:21
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Office Support Jan 10, 2020

Follow this link to see how to disable the mini floating toolbox, and this other link for the the paste options toolbox.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jan 10, 2020

Giuliana Maltempo wrote:

Follow this link to see how to disable the mini floating toolbox, and this other link for the the paste options toolbox.

Good to know.

Sometimes I think there should be a switch "Turn off all functions introduced after version 2003". Sorry, Microsoft.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-01-10 11:49 GMT]

Laura Kingdon
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Philip Lees
Kay Denney

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Downhill Jan 11, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Sometimes I think there should be a switch "Turn off all functions introduced after version 2003".

I keep a copy of Word 2003 installed that I use regularly when I want to do things that became much harder in later versions, such as working with styles, or comparing documents.

Office 2000/2003 was really very good. Since then it's been all downhill.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
2008 Jan 11, 2020

Philip Lees wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Sometimes I think there should be a switch "Turn off all functions introduced after version 2003".

I keep a copy of Word 2003 installed that I use regularly when I want to do things that became much harder in later versions, such as working with styles, or comparing documents.

Office 2000/2003 was really very good. Since then it's been all downhill.

My default version is Word 2008. Subsequent versions have removed important functions and have made the application far more cumbrous to use.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2007 Jan 12, 2020

My default version is Word 2008. Subsequent versions have removed important functions and have made the application far more cumbrous to use.

I use Word 2007 (with the installed update from long ago). A while back I tried out a more recent version and was put off by the software's insistence that I register a user name and password, and connect the software to the Internet.

I'm doing fine with the 2007 version.

Tom in London
Philip Lees

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spellchecking support Jan 13, 2020

I would gladly use Word 2007 or even 2003, but Microsoft does not support spellchecking in those anymore. For a long time my SDL Trados Studio would not use Word dictionary for spellchecking, until I removed Office 2010 and installed 365 anew. Then the red lines started to appear beneath my misspelled words in Studio. What a relief. (Of course the fault was in the SDL software, which did not recognize 365-Word instead of 2010).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to turn these off in Word?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »