Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Do any of you own Harry Potter books in multiple languages?
Thread poster: Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2007

I was wondering if any of you own one or more of the books in the Harry Potter series in multiple languages? For example, in your native language and in another language.

I own the series in English and have just ordered the first three in French. Later I am thinking of adding Italian. Do they already have them in Italian, I wonder? I know that they are available in German.

Just a curious question, if you have time to drop a line.

Lucinda

TIL Ltd (X)
TIL Ltd (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a big fan of Harry Potter Aug 8, 2007

Honestly Harry Potter is not my cup of tea but the books have been translated into italian as well.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:15
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I do Aug 8, 2007

Lucinda wrote:
I was wondering if any of you own one or more of the books in the Harry Potter series in multiple languages? For example, in your native language and in another language.

I have 1-6 books in Russian and Ukrainian (the Ukrainian translation is great, and the Russian is bad). And 1-3 books in English, my friends bring me the books when they visit my city. Before, I collected 7 books of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" in such a way. Thank you, my foreign friends! If not ProZ, I would never meet you

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:15
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
English, German, Italian Aug 8, 2007

We have books 1-6 in English, German and Italian.
I read them in English, my daughter (10) is starting on them in Italian (she finds it easier to listen to the audio books, which we got for her in German, so she could "read" the stories before going to watch the movies), and my son (12) has read them all several times each in both German and Italian

We also have 1 volume in Spanish, a present from my brother who
... See more
We have books 1-6 in English, German and Italian.
I read them in English, my daughter (10) is starting on them in Italian (she finds it easier to listen to the audio books, which we got for her in German, so she could "read" the stories before going to watch the movies), and my son (12) has read them all several times each in both German and Italian

We also have 1 volume in Spanish, a present from my brother who lives in MAdrid, to my son when he started to study Spanish at school, but it will be a while before he read it, I think...

(Same for the Tolkien trilogy)

cheers,
Roberta
Collapse

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian and English Aug 8, 2007

I have books 1-4 in Italian only, 5&6 both in English and Italian and of course no. 7 in English only (for the time being, but then as my mum will want to read it, I'll buy the Italian version as well!)

Quite a big fan of Harry, I am... I have even been thinking of buying the Latin version of the Philosopher Stone!

Have a nice evening,

Cristina

Mieke Tulp (X)
Mieke Tulp (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Harry addict Aug 8, 2007

I own the books in English, Dutch and French. Next month I will spend some time in Switzerland, in a German speaking region and it is possible (well, likely, I should say) I will get my hands on German Harry.

Did I read something about a Latin version? Yummie!

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
They are available here in Norwegian.... Aug 8, 2007

... but our family does not personally own them. Many of my children's friends have them.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
English, Spanish, French and Italian Aug 8, 2007

...Book 1, that is. The only language we have the complete set is English.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
When I was younger Aug 8, 2007

I could say that of Asterix. That was around the time I also had LOTR in 4 languages.

However, I'm down to originals now, since I have to save bookshelf space

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
English and German Aug 8, 2007

Nice post!
My son and I have all the books in English and volume 1-6 in German. My son kind of grew up with Harry Potter, I think he was 7 years old when he read the first book.

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish and English (and the British edition...) Aug 8, 2007

One of my sons decided he was too lazy to read them in English, so we also got the first four in Spanish. But when the fifth one came out, he had no patience to wait for the translation and read it in English (later bought it in Spanish to complete the collection).

Now, we are waiting for the Spanish translation. He decided not to start reading it in English just now, as he is starting college and does not want any "distractions"...

I also have a colleague who refuses
... See more
One of my sons decided he was too lazy to read them in English, so we also got the first four in Spanish. But when the fifth one came out, he had no patience to wait for the translation and read it in English (later bought it in Spanish to complete the collection).

Now, we are waiting for the Spanish translation. He decided not to start reading it in English just now, as he is starting college and does not want any "distractions"...

I also have a colleague who refuses to read the American version and orders the "English" edition...

It's fun to have the translations, though personally I hate reading translated work...
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Portuguese (first five), Afrikaans (first two), Dutch (1), English (all 7) and Latin (1) Aug 8, 2007

My girls attend Portuguese schools, but started off in Afrikaans schools in South Africa, so it was a way of trying to help them keep up their Afrikaans.

I'm English and only speak English to them (with occasional lapses into the other two languages, depending on my mood). They speak Portuguese to each other and their father.

And, come to think of it, there's one Dutch version floating around here somewhere, but can't remember which one offhand. The purpose of that was
... See more
My girls attend Portuguese schools, but started off in Afrikaans schools in South Africa, so it was a way of trying to help them keep up their Afrikaans.

I'm English and only speak English to them (with occasional lapses into the other two languages, depending on my mood). They speak Portuguese to each other and their father.

And, come to think of it, there's one Dutch version floating around here somewhere, but can't remember which one offhand. The purpose of that was just to show them the similarities with Afrikaans.

I also have the first one in Latin for myself. I studied Latin for a few years and was just interested to see the translation: Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis

And I recently got dragged to the 5th movie - in English with Portuguese subtitles - and then of course there are the inevitable Playstation and PC versions of the games in the cupboard next to the DVDs.

So yes, Ms Rowling has done pretty well out of my family!

[Edited at 2007-08-08 23:43]
Collapse

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:15
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
English and Lithuanian Aug 8, 2007

My daughter, who is 12 now, first reads them in English (as soon as they appear), and when the Lithuanian translation comes out she compares it against the original. And finds loads of ridiculous mistranslations, I regret to say...

Diana

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:15
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
First and second book Aug 8, 2007

Book 1 in U.S. English and "neutral" Spanish.

Book 2 in U.K. English and both the European and "neutral" Spanish editions. (There's also a Spanish edition for the southern part of South America, but I haven't seen it in person.)

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:15
English to French
+ ...
We have none, Aug 9, 2007

as we don't feel interested. Not that we don't think it's worth it, or that we don't think it's good, or nice, or... (It must not be that bad or J.K. Rowland wouldn't be the richest author on earth - if I'm not mistaken).

Even our kids, who were invited to go and see various H.P. at the movies, declined the invitations (and we never talked to them about our lack of interest in H.P. and his clique). They are all avid readers, but that's not what made them love reading.

... See more
as we don't feel interested. Not that we don't think it's worth it, or that we don't think it's good, or nice, or... (It must not be that bad or J.K. Rowland wouldn't be the richest author on earth - if I'm not mistaken).

Even our kids, who were invited to go and see various H.P. at the movies, declined the invitations (and we never talked to them about our lack of interest in H.P. and his clique). They are all avid readers, but that's not what made them love reading.

I tried once to read the firt page, as people were telling me: "You're going to see, it's amazing, kids and adults love it juste the same".
Well, I didn't get to the end of the third page. But then I have to admit that many things that people say are absolutely amazing start repelling me just because "everyone loves it" I'm sure I miss lots of great things because of that, but that's the way I'm wired (or weird?)

Parrot wrote:

I could say that of Asterix. That was around the time I also had LOTR in 4 languages.

However, I'm down to originals now, since I have to save bookshelf space

In fact, when I first came to live in Ecuador I was missing my Asterix collection and so bought one or two in Spanish, but the jokes aren't quite the same (or at least they don't "talk to me" the same way) so I stopped buying them.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do any of you own Harry Potter books in multiple languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »