Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 23, 2007

After a gap of around two years, I read a big book of more than 600 pages at one stretch. What with the pressure of job, shifting priorities and heavy competition from the Internet, book reading does take a backseat. As for the book read in the same manner two years back, it too was written by the same author.

I refer of course to the Harry Potter books 7 and 6 respecticely. In that way all the 7 books were read in a single stretch. Though many hours have passed since the 7th book w
... See more
After a gap of around two years, I read a big book of more than 600 pages at one stretch. What with the pressure of job, shifting priorities and heavy competition from the Internet, book reading does take a backseat. As for the book read in the same manner two years back, it too was written by the same author.

I refer of course to the Harry Potter books 7 and 6 respecticely. In that way all the 7 books were read in a single stretch. Though many hours have passed since the 7th book was finished, I am yet to come out of its effect.

At the outset, I am glad to note that many of the socalled spoilers were seen to be quite wide off the mark. The clever lady has foxed almost all of them. Some predictions were somewhat nearer the mark but only a little.

I will not reveal anything of the plot. Please do get the book and see for yourself. But I am more inclined to have some philosphical thoughts about the entire set of seven books.

It is the eternal war between the good and the evil. Good cannot always take things for granted. It has always to struggle and deserve the final victory it is supposed to get at the end. It should always remain vigilant and cannot afford to be complacent lest evil should rear its ugly head again. Taking a higher plane of thought however, the resurrection of evil is inevitable, given the human mind.

In the Hindu philosophy, the circle of evil and good is eternal and is a by product of Maya, which can be inadequately translated as illusion. This explains the various incarnation of Vishnu, one of the Holy Trinity.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:14
German to French
+ ...
quite right Jul 23, 2007

Hi Narasimhan !

As a big fan of Harry Potter almost from the beginning 10 years ago, I'm of this generation that completely grew up with Harry.
I agree with your thoughts and comments - but more cannot be said for the moment since I'm halway through the 7th book
So, if you excuse me, I'll leave you and go on with the reading ( amazingly writt
... See more
Hi Narasimhan !

As a big fan of Harry Potter almost from the beginning 10 years ago, I'm of this generation that completely grew up with Harry.
I agree with your thoughts and comments - but more cannot be said for the moment since I'm halway through the 7th book
So, if you excuse me, I'll leave you and go on with the reading ( amazingly written, this last one, don't you think ?) since I'm just dying right now to know how it goes on

Regards and have a great day !
Anne
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
You are lucky, Anne Jul 23, 2007

You are lucky in that you are able to read the English original and need not wait for the French translation. I am reminded of a French girl's lament way back when the 4th book was published. She was loudly bemoaning the fact of not having English as mother tongue precisely for this reason.

Happy reading. Once you finish the book, you can always share with me all your impressions of the book through my profile page without worrying about revealing the end!...
See more
You are lucky in that you are able to read the English original and need not wait for the French translation. I am reminded of a French girl's lament way back when the 4th book was published. She was loudly bemoaning the fact of not having English as mother tongue precisely for this reason.

Happy reading. Once you finish the book, you can always share with me all your impressions of the book through my profile page without worrying about revealing the end!
I too will like to discuss the whole book with someone without having the restrictions of avoiding spoilers.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

Hi Narasimhan !

So, if you excuse me, I'll leave you and go on with the reading ( amazingly written, this last one, don't you think ?) since I'm just dying right now to know how it goes on

Regards and have a great day !
Anne
Collapse

Rossi Ignatova
Rossi Ignatova  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
Spanish to Bulgarian
+ ...
loved it! Jul 23, 2007

I totally, fully and unreservedly loved the book. Bought it on Saturday evening and spent all day Sunday and all afternoon Monday reading it. Finished it about two hours ago and will be posting it to my sister in Bulgaria tomorrow.

I love the way it transports you into another world and you just have to keep reading.
It is also so visual and so descriptive with so few words.
It was quite of an effort to get back to 'normal mode' after finishing it.

Rossi

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Please no revealing the plot here Jul 24, 2007

For discussing the book in all details, there is a private forum organized for that very purpose. If you want to be included in that, email me through my profile page after duly logging in. I will do the needful.

As days pass, I expect more and more people to come to that forum.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Rossi Ignatova wrote:

I totally, fully and unreservedly loved the book. Bought it on Saturday evening and spent all day Sunday and all afternoon Monday reading it. Finished it about two hours ago and will be posting it to my sister in Bulgaria tomorrow.

I love the way it transports you into another world and you just have to keep reading.
It is also so visual and so descriptive with so few words.
It was quite of an effort to get back to 'normal mode' after finishing it.

Rossi

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Harry Potter and the deathly hallows Feb 19, 2021

This was a rarity in the Harry Potter series in that I enjoyed it more on re-reading than I did the first time I picked it up. It came out at a time when I was pretty much over the Harry Potter series and reading it was more like an obligation than something I was excited to do. Then many years later I revisited the entire series, and this time I was much more into the adventure and relationships.

Lai Ting Lee
Lai Ting Lee
Australia
It's an amazing experience to read the same book in different languages after nearly 20 years Feb 23, 2021

I read the collections of Harry Potter in Chinese when I was young. I re-read it in English last year during COVID lockdown. It is fantastic that I can read books in different languages and appreciate how beautifully the translators translated the books.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »