BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2002

Greetings everyone,

I know I\'ve seen this topic posted before but I can\'t find it anywhere. Does anyone know how I can convert an Adobe PDF Reader file into another document such as Word, Write or the sort?

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards,

Belkis

Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
It isn't that easy Oct 11, 2002

If you\'re willing to spend a bit of money, try OmniPage Pro (about $100).

Otherwise try copying the text from Acrobat Reader into the clipboard and pasting it into an empty Word file.

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to German
+ ...
Hint for copying text in PDF Oct 11, 2002

In Acrobat Reader you have to enable the right view mode, or you will be able to copy just one page after another.

Go to View/ and select either of the two options NOT named Single page (sorry I don´t know the english menu).

You will now be able to select and copy the whole document, but the result will not make you always happy, as the text can get a \"little\" mixed up. So sometimes it is better to select single parts of the text: press CTRL and drag your mouse over the pa
... See more
In Acrobat Reader you have to enable the right view mode, or you will be able to copy just one page after another.

Go to View/ and select either of the two options NOT named Single page (sorry I don´t know the english menu).

You will now be able to select and copy the whole document, but the result will not make you always happy, as the text can get a \"little\" mixed up. So sometimes it is better to select single parts of the text: press CTRL and drag your mouse over the part you want to select.

Another option is to buy the complete Acrobat, there you can save your PDF document as RTF or as TXT.
Collapse

Angelica Portales
Angelica Portales  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Read this thread.... Oct 11, 2002

for more information:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=24110

Gemini Solo (www.iceni.com) costs about US$159, but I think I remember having read not so long ago about a free tool for extracting text from PDF files... if you want the info, e-mail me and I\'ll try to find it in
... See more
for more information:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=24110

Gemini Solo (www.iceni.com) costs about US$159, but I think I remember having read not so long ago about a free tool for extracting text from PDF files... if you want the info, e-mail me and I\'ll try to find it in my HD. Also, I own Gemini Solo and would gladly give you hand.

Saludos,

Angelica

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-11 23:54 ]
Collapse

Pro Lingua
Pro Lingua  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
German to Slovak
+ ...
convert pdf to doc (and more at www.leadtools.com) Oct 12, 2002

To copy a page of the PDF file to Word 2002, follow these steps:

Acrobat Reader Version 4.x and 5.x

Open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Go to the page that you want to copy.

On the Basic Tools toolbar, click Text Select Tool.

On the Edit menu, click Select All.

On the Edit menu, click Copy.

Switch to Word, and then click Paste on the Edit menu.

To copy the whole PDF file to Word, follow
... See more
To copy a page of the PDF file to Word 2002, follow these steps:

Go to the page that you want to copy.

On the Basic Tools toolbar, click Text Select Tool.

To copy the whole PDF file to Word, follow these steps:

On the View menu, click Continuous.

To copy graphics, follow these steps:

Press SHIFT, and then click Text Select Tool. Without releasing the mouse button, click Graphic Select Tool on the toolbar that appears.

When the insertion point changes to a cross-hair icon, draw a rectangle around the graphic.

Switch to Word, and then on the Edit menu, click Paste.

To determine whether you will be permitted to copy text, follow these steps:

On the File menu, point to Document Info, and then click Security.

If Selecting Text and Graphics is set to Allowed, you can copy the text and the graphics and then paste the selection into another program.

back to the top

Acrobat Reader Versions 2. x and 3. x

Open your PDF document with Adobe Acrobat Reader 2. x or 3. x.

Select the content of the current screen image that you want to use in Word by doing one of the following:

To select and copy text, follow these steps in Adobe Acrobat Reader:

On the Tools menu, click Select Text.

Drag the I-beam mouse pointer over the text that you want to copy. The text will be selected (highlighted).

To select and copy a graphic, follow these steps:

On the Tools menu, click Select Graphics.

Drag the cross-hair mouse pointer (the cross-hair mouse pointer is a large plus sign [+]) around the picture or graphic that you want to copy.

In Microsoft Word, click Paste on the Edit menu.

--------------------------------------------

To copy a page of the PDF file to Word 97, follow these steps:

Use the following steps to copy text from a PDF file if you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.x:

Open your PDF document into Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.x for Windows.

Select the content of the current screen image that you want to use in Word by doing one of the following:

To select and copy text, do the following in Adobe Acrobat Reader:

On the Acrobat toolbar, click and hold the mouse on the Select Tool button. This is the button immediately to the right of the Zoom in Tool (Z) button. Then click the Text Select Tool (V) toolbar button.

Click and drag the I-beam mouse pointer over the text that you want to copy. The text will be selected (highlighted).

To select and copy a graphic, do the following:

On the Acrobat toolbar, click and hold the mouse on the Select Tool button. This is the button immediately to the right of the Zoom in Tool (Z) button. Then click the Graphics Select Tool (V) toolbar button.

Click and drag the cross-hair mouse pointer (the cross-hair mouse pointer is a large plus sign [+]) around the picture or graphic that you want to copy.

Acrobat Reader Versions 2.x/3.x

Use the following steps to copy the text from a PDF file if you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader 2.x or 3.x:

Open your PDF document into Adobe Acrobat Reader 2.x or 3.x for Windows.

To select and copy text, do the following in Adobe Acrobat Reader:

On the Tools menu, click Select Text.

Click and drag the I-beam mouse pointer over the text that you want to copy. The text will be selected (highlighted).

To select and copy a graphic, do the following:

On the Tools menu, click Select Graphics.

Click and drag the cross-hair mouse pointer (the cross-hair mouse pointer is a large plus sign [+]) around the picture or graphic that you want to copy.

Here you can download an evaluation pack (12 MB) to convert pdf to doc (and more converting possibilities). It works really fine, but the files got big.

www.leadtools.com/Utilities/PrinterDriver/ ePrint_As_A_Converter.htm
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 15, 2002

Dear all,

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my question. All the ideas are good options, I wish I would have asked at the beginning of this project instead of at the end, it would have saved me lots of time.

Best regards,

Belkis

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
CAT tools Feb 17, 2021

Some CAT tools can process text in PDF directly, but there are often quirks with the formatting.

Even using Adobe Acrobat to convert a PDF leads to less than ideal results.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
. Feb 17, 2021

I thought you've seen the light, Lincoln, and you have definitely made a point about how annoying mindless necroposting can be.

Let's move on, please...

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with Adobe PDF Reader

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »