Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:24
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Na mouche" Nov 4, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Do forgive my ignorance. I am a person who doesn't go shopping very often. Perhaps once every five years, and always pushed into it. Fashion Sense 101? I looked it up rather sneakily, feeling pretty daft. Couldn't figure out whether it was a place or an expression. Nothing I found confirmed anything. And I felt dafter because one page said All products pre-loved or used items. Pre-loved? (I had to look that one up too) Does the 101 thing just mean the bestest fashion there is? I want to be able to say it to someone, you see, all casual.

[Edited at 2020-11-04 13:29 GMT]

My bad Mervyn, I shouldn't play with the English language just yet. Must do better. Maybe I should say just fashion 101?

101: showing the most basic knowledge about a subject: You should know how to boil an egg - that's cooking 101.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/101

I meant that you don't have to be a fashion guru to know that you either show one asset or the other, not all the goods at once, because that would be ordinaire and unladylike.

Having said that, feel free to strut your stuff any time you like. I'm no fashion police.

Which means: You nail it!
For "pre-loved", it is an used item as Mervyn says, it is a second-hand item ("artículo de segunda mano").

Of course you nail it...
I took you for Thomas! I'm sorry P.L.F.Persio!

[Edited at 2020-11-04 15:18 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
101 Nov 4, 2020

It's me that's not au fait. I've never heard that 101 thing before. How embarrassing.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
There, there Nov 4, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It's me that's not au fait. I've never heard that 101 thing before. How embarrassing.

It's not embarrassing at all. Aren't we the ones who always go on and on about how languages evolve? If we live abroad, it's easy not to be au fait.

Recently, I had to ask one of my editors whether selfie is a masculine or feminine noun in Italian. I was 100% sure it was feminine (la fotografia selfie) but, obviously, it's masculine (l'autoritratto selfie).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Americano Nov 4, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

that 101 thing

It's yet another Americanism. Even more absurd is the UK English adoption of "stepping up to the plate". I bet most of the people who use that expression don't even know where it comes from.

And what about "going right down to the wire" as in "I think the election will go right down to the wire" ?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wire Nov 4, 2020

Do you know, Tom, call it synchronicity, but I'm on a job at the moment where I could just about justify sticking in "right down to the wire", and I might go for it just for a laugh. Well, why not, I've already used the laughable "roll out" (a project) - laughable for me, anyway, because it always conjures up the image of a couple of blokes rolling out a barrel or a carpet or something.

And, on another more or less adjacent thread on the list, by the way, I do see now that your "Th
... See more
Do you know, Tom, call it synchronicity, but I'm on a job at the moment where I could just about justify sticking in "right down to the wire", and I might go for it just for a laugh. Well, why not, I've already used the laughable "roll out" (a project) - laughable for me, anyway, because it always conjures up the image of a couple of blokes rolling out a barrel or a carpet or something.

And, on another more or less adjacent thread on the list, by the way, I do see now that your "Thanks, but I have other plans" is a rather effective reply to "Have a nice day".
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Stereophonics - Graffiti on the Train Album Nov 4, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMs8qCh4vXc

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stereophonics Nov 4, 2020

As you know, the ’phonics are Welsh, and in fact they live next door to me. They’re good neighbours except when the croquet gets out of hand.

I’ve often helped Kelly get stuff off the top (and indeed the middle) shelf down the Co-op, and he’s a nice lad, which makes it a bit awkward that me and Mrs Jones have a thing going on. We know it’s wrong but it’s much too strong to let it go now.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Really? Nov 4, 2020

Chris S wrote:

As you know, the ’phonics are Welsh, and in fact they live next door to me. They’re good neighbours except when the croquet gets out of hand.

I’ve often helped Kelly get stuff off the top (and indeed the middle) shelf down the Co-op, and he’s a nice lad, which makes it a bit awkward that me and Mrs Jones have a thing going on. We know it’s wrong but it’s much too strong to let it go now.

Yes, they are. You are lucky to have them as your neighbours!
I knew their song and how popular is, and I decided to post it here. It is a great band!

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Neighbours Nov 5, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
You are lucky to have them as your neighbours!

I am. Mind you, I’ve got Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey on the other side and they’re a complete nightmare. With tonsils like that it’s not unusual to hear them screaming at each other in the middle of the night even with my triple glazing. Trouble is, he’s a big spender - but on her credit cards. When it gets really bad, she starts burnin’ down the house.
But they’re not a patch on Kylie and Jason across the road. No, only joking. I should be so lucky.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give us a song, Chris Nov 5, 2020

Well, if I encountered a passing obsession with Aeros, it looks like you've been listening to a lot of music lately! If Thomas is the Punmaster-General, we'll have to dub you Songmaster-General. No pun intended with "dub", by the way. It just slipped out.

I'd never heard of the Stereophonics, though, but I saw Exy's video. Didn't sound very Welsh to me, but I suppose that's the mike static.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No way! Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Well, if I encountered a passing obsession with Aeros, it looks like you've been listening to a lot of music lately! If Thomas is the Punmaster-General, we'll have to dub you Songmaster-General. No pun intended with "dub", by the way. It just slipped out.

I'd never heard of the Stereophonics, though, but I saw Exy's video. Didn't sound very Welsh to me, but I suppose that's the mike static.

Chris is a singer too? I have to listen! Please sing us a song!
Welsh accents are beautiful.
"Welsh accents have just been named the sexiest"
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/sexiest-accents-uk-welsh-essex-16251389

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Keeping up with the Joneses Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Didn't sound very Welsh to me

Sings like a chainsmoking Yank but he's got a tidy Valleys accent when we're chatting over the garden fence. Last year they forgot to pay their water bill and got cut off, so I offered to let them use my hose to keep the croquet lawn looking lush. "I've got a butt butt but thanks anyway," he said.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oh yeah, baby Nov 5, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I try not to let the Welsh through when singing. It'd play havoc with my side-job as a Barry White tribute act.

Here's a clip from last night's show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LWpIkFMvY

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I know Nov 5, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I try not to let the Welsh through when singing. It'd play havoc with my side-job as a Barry White tribute act.

Here's a clip from last night's show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LWpIkFMvY

I know you were joking.
The poor man was dripping with sweat! I didn't know Barry White.

Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Barry White / Schlagermuziek Nov 5, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I didn't know Barry White.

Hi Exy, then you're in for a treat. He was immense. Like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklyn.

I live in a country that – while blessed with a wonderful sense of aesthetics – musically leaves a lot to be desired. One of the most famous songs here has the evocative title of Bier en tieten.

They also share a love for Schlager with their German neighbours, a genre of European music you can read about here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/08/ja-ja-ding-dong-how-schlager-found-its-joyful-place-pop-eurovision

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »