Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Do You Often Switch Keyboard Layout?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm not at all IT savvy Apr 10, 2016

So I just go with what I'm given. I bought my desktop in France so it has an AZERTY keyboard. I don't find it any problem to type in English, and Spanish just calls for a few ALT combinations. Actually, apart from the ñ I don't often know what's required in Spanish so I generally let the corrector help me out. My phone (being used at the moment) is set to a QWERTY layout but that's as good as any because I can't type accurately in such a small space anyway.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:43
Russian to English
+ ...
My approach Apr 10, 2016

I use the standard Windows keyboards for English and Russian. I find that the Russian keyboard works just fine for Bulgarian. But I dictate English whenever I can using Dragon 14. Dragon lets me dictate most if not all the letters with diacritics and other odd letters and symbols, so I don't need to look up the keyboard shortcuts or ASCII codes for them.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Always, need to Apr 11, 2016

I work in English and Hindi, which have entired different scripts, though both languages belong to the Indo-Aryan group of languages.

This means I have to switch keyboard layouts when I switch between these languages. It has almost become a reflex action (Alt+Shift), almost like switching on caps lock for the first letter of each sentence in English.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:43
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I do Apr 12, 2016

My Turkish keyboard covers the English language, but occasionally I need to write in Russian - for this I use a nifty little program called Parawin XP (works on Windows 7 and 8 too), which you use to map your keyboard to almost any language. You hit a combination of keys to cycle between the languages you have mapped - very handy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do You Often Switch Keyboard Layout?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »