Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:07
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
American banks Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles in this matter.
I lived in New York for a few years and worked mainly in investment banking, learning a great deal about the business and about American banks in general. Many of them seem to have difficulty dealing with foreign currencies (anything other than the mighty dollar) and with money transfers generally. One of the banks I worked for had a whole department, called "Tracing", whose task was to find out who was supposed to be the recipient of tra
... See more
I'm sorry to hear of your struggles in this matter.
I lived in New York for a few years and worked mainly in investment banking, learning a great deal about the business and about American banks in general. Many of them seem to have difficulty dealing with foreign currencies (anything other than the mighty dollar) and with money transfers generally. One of the banks I worked for had a whole department, called "Tracing", whose task was to find out who was supposed to be the recipient of transferred money which had "gone astray". While they were searching, the funds were placed in an "overnight account" where they earned a tiny amount of interest, so in practice it was in the bank's interests to keep the money there for as long as possible. The total of such funds soon mounted up.
I've no idea, of course, whether that is what has happened to your money, but it's possible.
I think the advice you've received from another colleague here is good. Badger your own bank and insist that they answer all your questions satisfactorly, that they investigate the matter thoroughly and report to you in full.
It might be a good idea to open an account in another bank too, one which is entirely at ease with foreign business. Then, if your present bank doesn't give you a satisfactory answer and doesn't get the money to you soon, you can close your account there and use the new one.
Wishing you a happy conclusion,
Jenny
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Weird Oct 27, 2017

When I get paid from a big US based agency I get the amount in USD to my paypal account and then I just withdraw it to my Finnish account without any fee at all.
Guess you just have to be patient, let them send their dollars and withdraw Euro. If the job was done in September you would have to wait till next year if the agency were Italian or French.

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:07
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 27, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When I get paid from a big US based agency I get the amount in USD to my paypal account and then I just withdraw it to my Finnish account without any fee at all.
Guess you just have to be patient, let them send their dollars and withdraw Euro. If the job was done in September you would have to wait till next year if the agency were Italian or French.

yes, as I said, Paypal is no option for them (otherwise I wouldn't have those problems).
The problem IS them sending dollars - it always gets stuck somewhere and sent back etc.
No agency, direct client.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
4.4% fee with PayPal Oct 27, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

PayPal deducted a 4.4% fee from my most recent USD payment. I queried it, but I don't think I'll get a reply. PayPal is usually cheaper for me than cheque (for which the transaction fee is EUR 70), but in this particular case I would have scored about EUR 200 if I had accepted payment by cheque instead.

I'm surprised that you pay no fee for receiving money via PayPal.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds odd Oct 27, 2017

If you agree on a specific currency, it’s your responsibility to make sure your bank is able to accept that currency. That's why I have three bank accounts (EUR, GBP and USD).

A fee of 10% to receive money? No, that is not real. Banks usually charge up to 40 USD, no matter how big or small the amount is.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 27, 2017

yes, payPal deducts fees, of course (and does a lot of other illegal stuff, but this is all within a grey area, so it is hard to do sth against them. The whole world seems to work with paypal, you can hardly avoid them).

I've asked my client who told them about the 10% - I'm curious if I get an answer. Talked to the German and British branch (I always enjoy speaking to British people - most of them are so polite and friendly - appreciate that a lot!...
See more
yes, payPal deducts fees, of course (and does a lot of other illegal stuff, but this is all within a grey area, so it is hard to do sth against them. The whole world seems to work with paypal, you can hardly avoid them).

I've asked my client who told them about the 10% - I'm curious if I get an answer. Talked to the German and British branch (I always enjoy speaking to British people - most of them are so polite and friendly - appreciate that a lot!) of their bank, and of course they weren't able to make a reliable statement, because they were not representing that certain branch, but they, too, said, that 10% seemed a lot.

I will call the US bank, if I don't get satisfying answers. (and yes, of course I have to make sure the currency is accepted, but it never occurred to me this could be a problem at all! Now I know better.)

They have sent payment yesterday, International High Value Wire (urgent)...we'll see.

Merab Dekano wrote:

If you agree on a specific currency, it’s your responsibility to make sure your bank is able to accept that currency. That's why I have three bank accounts (EUR, GBP and USD).

A fee of 10% to receive money? No, that is not real. Banks usually charge up to 40 USD, no matter how big or small the amount is.
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Oct 28, 2017

I've seent hat they have sent the payment to the intermediary bank, even though I have told them several times they can send the Euro-payment directly to my normal bank account. Somebody is plain stupid there. I always need to wait half a day or even a whole day if I ask them a question 8and I had a lot of questions!!), or get no answer at all, like to my question about the 10% yesterday. I suppose the payment will land at the intermediary bank who won't know why it receives a Euro-pament for an... See more
I've seent hat they have sent the payment to the intermediary bank, even though I have told them several times they can send the Euro-payment directly to my normal bank account. Somebody is plain stupid there. I always need to wait half a day or even a whole day if I ask them a question 8and I had a lot of questions!!), or get no answer at all, like to my question about the 10% yesterday. I suppose the payment will land at the intermediary bank who won't know why it receives a Euro-pament for an account that doesn't belong to their bank and send it back. You know, I could do some terrible thing so some people out there! Maybe I'm wrong and the money will be on my account on Monday or so, but I don't believe so.Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

Do you think I can take legal steps if the money hasn't arrived until Monday or Tuesday? Probably not, right? I guess they are laughing about me.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Intermediaries are often unavoidable Oct 28, 2017

Inez Ulrich wrote:
I've seent hat they have sent the payment to the intermediary bank, even though I have told them several times they can send the Euro-payment directly to my normal bank account

Inez, I'm afraid that's how international banking works. Occasionally, you'll be lucky and find that two banks can communicate directly, if they're both international clearing banks. But more often, they'll go through an intermediary bank. The banks themselves don't control it - or at least, nobody that you could talk to in either bank controls it. And of course, the intermediary bank expects some payment for its involvement, even if it is largely automati, but never more than about $20. The currency shouldn't matter to them - they're simply redirecting the funds.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

I don't mind reasonable fees and I also don't mind intermediaries. But I'm simply fed up with how this issue is handled by the client. Because of them I lost about 2 weeks which I wouldn't have lost if they reacted more quickly or at all to my and the quesions of the Russian colleagues. Of course, I relied on having the money at least 2 weeks ago - if I hadn't accepted other jobs beside this one I would be completely broke by now (one client paid me 10 days earlier than agreed because of this is... See more
I don't mind reasonable fees and I also don't mind intermediaries. But I'm simply fed up with how this issue is handled by the client. Because of them I lost about 2 weeks which I wouldn't have lost if they reacted more quickly or at all to my and the quesions of the Russian colleagues. Of course, I relied on having the money at least 2 weeks ago - if I hadn't accepted other jobs beside this one I would be completely broke by now (one client paid me 10 days earlier than agreed because of this issue, thank God). I'm more than furious.Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

I just got chided for having talked to bank employees about that 10% fee. They don't want my negativity anymore. Now they say it was all my fault because I wasn't aware that my bank doesn't accept dollar payments. Only, I still don't have my money. Of course, I am negative - I'm waiting for 3 weeks now and nothing but empty promises and lies (or incompetent/wrong info). I'm fuming.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Chain of communication and payment Oct 28, 2017

Inez,
I can sympathize as when problems arise in adminsitrative handling of payments, when there are communication problems and when the banking systems in the paying and/or receiving countries seem to work so differently, it is horrendous. In the middle of this, you, with USD3500 stuck in some virtual pipeline.

In the situation you describe, there seem to be a few links in the chain of payment. It seems as if there are unavoidable intermediaries from branch to international c
... See more
Inez,
I can sympathize as when problems arise in adminsitrative handling of payments, when there are communication problems and when the banking systems in the paying and/or receiving countries seem to work so differently, it is horrendous. In the middle of this, you, with USD3500 stuck in some virtual pipeline.

In the situation you describe, there seem to be a few links in the chain of payment. It seems as if there are unavoidable intermediaries from branch to international clearing, so that the funds can exit, and then probably a similar international clearing to branch process being mirrored for the money to be received. It sometimes means payment takes longer, but it usually arrives in the end, minus a few dollars, as each time and intermediary intervenes, they take a %. Even if these are small, they add up, particularly on larger amounts.

However, looking back to your initial post, I realise that I have not realy understood. Correct me if I'm wrong!
- your client is a direct client
- this direct client is a Russian software company with an office in the US
- your contract is with the US office of software company

I do not understand why Russian project managers asked the US office about payment. Are you not in direct contact with your client?

[Edited at 2017-10-28 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

Hi Nikki,

you are right about everything you asked.

For the project I worked closely with the Russian technical writers, so this is why they are somehow responsible for the proceedings and communication. But as I said, they just told me that they have other things to do than talk to me every day about this. They won't go for another payment option (and I presented several to them), are really inflexible and don't listen. And now it is all my fault because I didn't know
... See more
Hi Nikki,

For the project I worked closely with the Russian technical writers, so this is why they are somehow responsible for the proceedings and communication. But as I said, they just told me that they have other things to do than talk to me every day about this. They won't go for another payment option (and I presented several to them), are really inflexible and don't listen. And now it is all my fault because I didn't know something, and that I was told completely incorrectly about by my bank. I'm losing it, really.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Time to step it up? Oct 28, 2017

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi Nikki,

For the project I worked closely with the Russian technical writers, so this is why they are somehow responsible for the proceedings and communication. But as I said, they just told me that they have other things to do than talk to me every day about this. They won't go for another payment option (and I presented several to them), are really inflexible and don't listen. And now it is all my fault because I didn't know something, and that I was told completely incorrectly about by my bank. I'm losing it, really.

The situation is that a translation was ordered, you did the translation and the client is not disputing that fact. I'm not going to address the issue of the reduced amount, just suggestions that might solve the problem of you getting most, if not all, of the USD3500. There is a solution out there somewhere. Here are some suggestions.

Firstly, find out from your bank what form of payment they can accept. Commercial transactions happen every minute of the day betweent the US and Europe. If they don't know, ask them to find out. Banking is their job, not yours. Explain that it is urgent. If they take too long and your client sends another payment through, then there is a risk that it will happen again.

Secondly, it might be a good idea to send a mail to the head of the department that ordered the work, with a "cc" copy to the accounts department (at the same time). If you can't get the accounts department number, copy the mail to the CEO's office.
In this mail, explain that for some reason you do not understand, the payment was refused by your bank.
Explain that your bank is looking into to it and that you will inform your client what methods of payment can be handled and in what conditions.
Ask the client what forms of payment they can propose to pay your bill.
Ask them not to make the payment until you have confirmed that your bank is ready to receive it.

I think your biggest problem is getting your bank to sort the situation out on the receiving end. It looks like you need to bully your bank into solving this one for you.

[Edited at 2017-10-28 14:59 GMT]

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

Nikki, all of this has been done. I have also clearly explained to my client, what they need to do when they send the payment. They don't listen. They again have sent the payment to the intermediary bank even though I have told them - and I emphasized this each time - what account details they have to use.

I was clearly told today that they have other things to do than to discuss this matter each and every day (but I do, right? All in all spent about a whole workday with writing and
... See more
Nikki, all of this has been done. I have also clearly explained to my client, what they need to do when they send the payment. They don't listen. They again have sent the payment to the intermediary bank even though I have told them - and I emphasized this each time - what account details they have to use.

I was clearly told today that they have other things to do than to discuss this matter each and every day (but I do, right? All in all spent about a whole workday with writing and calling etc.) and that the discussion is finished now. I should stop talking to the bank (their bank...they probably fear I might find out that this 10% fee is a lie), wait if the payment arrive this time and stop blaming them (in fact, I called some of them plain stupid - and I would do it again). We'll see.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible task to get paid

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »