Can you confirm all reps of a segment across MULTIPLE files within same project?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2021

Workflow: Translator, all files in same project, entire project in my workflow, no project manager permissions, files on client's server. I'm running MemoQ 9.7

Goal: confirm repeating segments across multiple files with one command for monotonous repetitive bundles of standardized paperwork packaged together in a project

Not like "confirm everything", but have a dozen files propagated and confirmed (!) for exact matches when I edit and confirm a segment in one of them<
... See more
Workflow: Translator, all files in same project, entire project in my workflow, no project manager permissions, files on client's server. I'm running MemoQ 9.7

Goal: confirm repeating segments across multiple files with one command for monotonous repetitive bundles of standardized paperwork packaged together in a project

Not like "confirm everything", but have a dozen files propagated and confirmed (!) for exact matches when I edit and confirm a segment in one of them

Possible? Thx.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:19
Danish to English
+ ...
View Apr 28, 2021

Create a View with all the files (select them all > right-click > Create view).

Then open that view and enable Auto-propagation under the Translation tab.

John Fossey

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Apr 28, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Create a View with all the files (select them all > right-click > Create view).

Then open that view and enable Auto-propagation under the Translation tab.

This is reversible right?

Can I go back to normal view afterwards? It offers to "simply glue documents together" or "extract repetitions", and I'm kind of intimidated that I'll accidentally create chaos on my client's server.... somehow.

Glue files sounds suspiciously like something that might create a mess.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 28, 2021

It doesn't create any mess. You can always open the files individually instead. It doesn't change the files. Only how you view them. People do this all the time. It's designed for it.

[Edited at 2021-04-29 06:55 GMT]

John Fossey

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can the PM or others on the project see what I'm doing with views? Apr 28, 2021

Or are they wholly my own, on my computer only?

Running MemoQ 9.7 on a CAL license, project is on client server

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Probably only local Apr 29, 2021

I don't know if a PM can see it. I don't think so. And why does it matter? They asked you to do the job, so you need to do it with the tools you have. This is a legitimate, common and normal technique in memoQ, not something you need to worry about hiding.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
ahartje
John Fossey
Stepan Konev

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends Apr 29, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I don't know if a PM can see it. I don't think so. And why does it matter? They asked you to do the job, so you need to do it with the tools you have. This is a legitimate, common and normal technique in memoQ, not something you need to worry about hiding.

I have a feeling my PMs know even less about memoQ than I do... if I out some shortcuts, I fully expect them to figure out some new and improved way of giving themselves a deeper discount

Also, one of the few areas they haven't yet introduced match discounts in is revision (for which on most documents they end up paying more for than MTPE)... I don't wanna give em any ideas.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
View created in a checked-out copy will NOT carry over into the main online project Apr 29, 2021

According to https://kb.stptrans.com/Article.aspx?p=695 , "a view created in a checked-out copy will NOT carry over into the main online project."

I wouldn't worry in your place.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:19
English to Russian
In addition Apr 30, 2021

Creating views has nothing to do with word count. Simply gluing files will not change the project statistics in any way because memoQ also counts internal reps. It does not matter whether the files are glued or separated when counting them. memoQ counts them as if they were glued by default.

Thomas T. Frost

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:19
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Views are local May 3, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Or are they wholly my own, on my computer only?

Running MemoQ 9.7 on a CAL license, project is on client server

No, a PM cannot see it on their end. (Source: am a memoQ PM.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you confirm all reps of a segment across MULTIPLE files within same project?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »