My MemoQ-required client provides a CAL license...should I just use that? Any reason NOT to?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2021

All I can say so far is "seems like it works". Any caveats or hidden shortcomings?

Just how good (or bad) does my internet connection have to be for it to stay validated? Is it calling home daily, hourly, or every second, potentially leading to interruptions on every router hiccup?

Thanks.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
In memoriam
You cannot use it for your own projects I believe Jan 4, 2021

From memory, I believe that the CAL license will be activated when you start up MemoQ, but if your Internet connection fails, you will not lose the license as long as MemoQ is still running. You can work on the client's projects, but you cannot create your own MemoQ projects with a CAL license (at least not with your own TMs and TBs). Normally this will mean that you will work on projects on the client's server. The Internet connection needs to be active for this most of the time. If your connec... See more
From memory, I believe that the CAL license will be activated when you start up MemoQ, but if your Internet connection fails, you will not lose the license as long as MemoQ is still running. You can work on the client's projects, but you cannot create your own MemoQ projects with a CAL license (at least not with your own TMs and TBs). Normally this will mean that you will work on projects on the client's server. The Internet connection needs to be active for this most of the time. If your connection (or the client's server) is slow, this can be quite cumbersome.Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Russian to English
+ ...
There is a setting... Jan 4, 2021

I translated a series of books under a CAL license several years ago. There is a setting that prevents memoQ from updating the TM on your client's server every time you confirm a segment -- which can slow things up quite a bit. With that setting, you can upload confirmed segments to your client's TM at a time of your choosing.

Also, unless memoQ versions newer than mine have changed the way the app works, you can export and save a local copy of of the TM.

I'm away from
... See more
I translated a series of books under a CAL license several years ago. There is a setting that prevents memoQ from updating the TM on your client's server every time you confirm a segment -- which can slow things up quite a bit. With that setting, you can upload confirmed segments to your client's TM at a time of your choosing.

Also, unless memoQ versions newer than mine have changed the way the app works, you can export and save a local copy of of the TM.

I'm away from my computer and can't recall where to find the setting, but your client --or memoQ customer support -- should be able to help you.
Collapse

Adieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My MemoQ-required client provides a CAL license...should I just use that? Any reason NOT to?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »