How to distinguish TM matches that have been edited from those that have been directly confirmed
Thread poster: Javier Grande
Javier Grande
Javier Grande  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:17
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2020

I am using memoQ 8.7.19, and I am wondering if there is any way to distinguish confirmed segments that have been populated from the TM and have been edited from those that have been confirmed directly, without any editing. For instance, 99% matches sometimes can be directly confirmed, but other times require some edit. However, upon confirming them, they become green either way, and they become (apparently) indistinguishable, which increases the odds of overlooking some inadvertent mistak... See more
I am using memoQ 8.7.19, and I am wondering if there is any way to distinguish confirmed segments that have been populated from the TM and have been edited from those that have been confirmed directly, without any editing. For instance, 99% matches sometimes can be directly confirmed, but other times require some edit. However, upon confirming them, they become green either way, and they become (apparently) indistinguishable, which increases the odds of overlooking some inadvertent mistake.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Timestamp? Mar 2, 2020

I'd have a look in those areas: perhaps untouched TM segments will have a timestamp that's before the time when the translation was started, edited TM segments will have a "Modified" status or your user name as Author…

Philippe

Javier Grande
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Timestamp does not seem to help Mar 2, 2020

Unfortunately, all segments (even those that were confirmed without any editing) appear as "changed by me" and with a timestamp corresponding to the moment when the segment was confirmed.

Javier Grande
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Mar 4, 2020

OK, I found the solution myself. Just in case it might help someone else: Say that you have a 99% match. If you edit it before confirming it, on the right-hand side panel (i.e. the one that shows matches from the TM) the first result will be the new 101% match and the second result will be the original 99% match (since they are different). On the contrary, if you directly accept a 99% match without any editing, the original 99% match is absent from the right-hand side panel (as it is identical t... See more
OK, I found the solution myself. Just in case it might help someone else: Say that you have a 99% match. If you edit it before confirming it, on the right-hand side panel (i.e. the one that shows matches from the TM) the first result will be the new 101% match and the second result will be the original 99% match (since they are different). On the contrary, if you directly accept a 99% match without any editing, the original 99% match is absent from the right-hand side panel (as it is identical to the new 101% match). It is not as useful as having different tones (as in Trados), but it will do.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to distinguish TM matches that have been edited from those that have been directly confirmed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »