Thread poster: Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 9, 2020

When I analyze my progress on a project, MemoQ no longer gives me a useful analysis report. Let me explain what I mean.

The "Count" portion of the Statistics reports accurately reflects the number of segments / words / characters I've translated so far, based on the number of confirmed segments. However, it does not tell me anything about the categories of those translated segments. For all I know, I may have translated all the "99%" segments, but the bulk of the "no-match" segments
... See more
When I analyze my progress on a project, MemoQ no longer gives me a useful analysis report. Let me explain what I mean.

The "Count" portion of the Statistics reports accurately reflects the number of segments / words / characters I've translated so far, based on the number of confirmed segments. However, it does not tell me anything about the categories of those translated segments. For all I know, I may have translated all the "99%" segments, but the bulk of the "no-match" segments -- which reflect the majority of the effort required -- may still be untranslated.

The Statistics report also has the "Analysis" portion, which does display a breakdown of the categories of segments. However, the contents of this portion do NOT change any longer, no matter how much I progress through the project.

I have found a workaround for this. I create a view with all the "not started" segments and run Statistics on it. This produces exactly the information I need.

Is there a way to get this information without creating a view each time?

Thank you for any help.
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 13:35
English to Russian
+ ...
re Feb 13, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

The "Count" portion of the Statistics reports accurately reflects the number of segments / words / characters I've translated so far, based on the number of confirmed segments. However, it does not tell me anything about the categories of those translated segments. For all I know, I may have translated all the "99%" segments, but the bulk of the "no-match" segments -- which reflect the majority of the effort required -- may still be untranslated.

The Statistics report also has the "Analysis" portion, which does display a breakdown of the categories of segments. However, the contents of this portion do NOT change any longer, no matter how much I progress through the project.

I have found a workaround for this. I create a view with all the "not started" segments and run Statistics on it. This produces exactly the information I need.

Thank you for any help.

From problem description it seems You need only project progress that is seen on Project home page in percent.
Most of analyses reports is for project managers - so use MQ PM (or server) version

and RTFM (i gave a link on my unofficial RUS translation of MQ help in MQ and Russian forums)

[Редактировалось 2020-02-13 20:02 GMT]

shem ageta

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obviously not Feb 18, 2020

I described my use case quite clearly. Please re-read it to understand what I'm asking for.

shem ageta

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Filter the grid Feb 18, 2020

You don't have to create a view each time. Create a view containing all the segments just once and then filter the grid for “Not confirmed in any role” and run statistics on “Active document” whenever you want.

If your project consists of just one document, you don't even need to create a view, just filter the grid for NCIAR and run statistics on AD when needed.

DZiW (X)

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Run Statistics again Mar 6, 2020

Yes, it is a problem. But, why can't you just do analysis in Statistics as you did before translation. All the segments translated by you and confirmed will be included in 100% matches (as they are now 100% matches in TM) and you can check in other categories (95-99% etc) how may words are REALLY left to be translated. I do it to check how many words are left to be done and plan work somehow.

Cheers
K.

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Used to work this way, but doesn't anymore Mar 9, 2020

TranslateWithMe wrote:
Yes, it is a problem. But, why can't you just do analysis in Statistics as you did before translation. All the segments translated by you and confirmed will be included in 100% matches (as they are now 100% matches in TM) and you can check in other categories (95-99% etc) how may words are REALLY left to be translated. I do it to check how many words are left to be done and plan work somehow.

MemoQ used to work this way, but stopped at some point. I believe this happened about a year ago, but I can't be certain.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
It work for me... Mar 10, 2020

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

MemoQ used to work this way, but stopped at some point. I believe this happened about a year ago, but I can't be certain. [/quote]

Well, I've checked it just now and my MemoQ (R2 2014) produced the right intermediate statistics report for a file done in about 50%. Perhaps it is a matter of the version you use or your instance must be Repaired somehow.

K.

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checked -- not working Mar 11, 2020

TranslateWithMe wrote:

Well, I've checked it just now and my MemoQ (R2 2014) produced the right intermediate statistics report for a file done in about 50%. Perhaps it is a matter of the version you use or your instance must be Repaired somehow.

K.

I just did a clean install of MemoQ 9.2 on a new machine. Please see the attached screenshot. analysis2

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another workaround Mar 11, 2020

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

You don't have to create a view each time. Create a view containing all the segments just once and then filter the grid for “Not confirmed in any role” and run statistics on “Active document” whenever you want.

If your project consists of just one document, you don't even need to create a view, just filter the grid for NCIAR and run statistics on AD when needed.

Thank you for this tip! I consider it yet another workaround, but it's good to keep in mind nonetheless.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:35
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't have that problem in 9.2.7 Mar 11, 2020

I don't see any such changed behaviour. This is from version 9.2.7 and concerns a project I completed yesterday.

If you have version 9, don't you have support so you can ask them for an explanation?

Is there anything unusual in the TM setup? Did you check in the TM that the confirmed segments have actually been written to it? If the segments were confirmed but not written to the TM (or if the TM was not attached), it would be consistent with your result.

... See more
I don't see any such changed behaviour. This is from version 9.2.7 and concerns a project I completed yesterday.

If you have version 9, don't you have support so you can ask them for an explanation?

Is there anything unusual in the TM setup? Did you check in the TM that the confirmed segments have actually been written to it? If the segments were confirmed but not written to the TM (or if the TM was not attached), it would be consistent with your result.

Tomasz Sienicki said, 'just filter the grid for NCIAR and run statistics on AD when needed.' Would anyone be so kind as to explain to us ordinary mortals what it means?

Annotation 2020-03-11 104930
Collapse

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
NCIAR • AD Mar 11, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tomasz Sienicki said, 'just filter the grid for NCIAR and run statistics on AD when needed.' Would anyone be so kind as to explain to us ordinary mortals what it means?

NCIAR = Not confirmed in any role (Advanced filters dialogue; see https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/specify-segment-status.html )

AD = Active document (Statistics dialogue; see https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/statistics.html )

[Edited at 2020-03-11 14:54 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks Mar 11, 2020

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

NCIAR = Not confirmed in any role (Advanced filters dialogue; see https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/specify-segment-status.html )

AD = Active document (Statistics dialogue; see https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/statistics.html )

Thanks. I know what and where they are, but I'd never have guessed the acronyms.

It's still odd that my 9.2 Analysis works as MemoQ has always done (i.e. taking the current TM into account) and Mikhail Kropotov's doesn't. It doesn't look like a change of functionality.

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional observations Mar 11, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Your comment made me double-check and compare the different projects I have been working with.

As it turns out, the behavior I described in my original post is easier to replicate on a customer's remote server project rather than on my own local ones. It seems that on a remote server project, even when I select the checkbox "Project TMs and corpora" in the Statistics dialog, the analysis is calculated as if the checkbox were deselected. Perhaps the server TM is in a different state from my local one, and the checkbox doesn't work as expected.

Still, I could swear that when I posted originally, it was because the issue was happening on a local project of mine, not on a remote server project. With a local project there's only one TM, the local one, and it should theoretically always be up-to-date.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of this issue yet, but I'll keep a close eye on it. If/when I figure it out, I'll update this topic.

Thank you everyone for your input and feedback!

[Edited at 2020-03-11 17:51 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Server version Mar 11, 2020

I can't provoke the problem in a server project either.

You are presumably aware of MemoQ's compatibility policy:

Client and server, translation
For the purposes of translation, we guarantee compatibility for one major version “ahead” and “behind”: anyone using memoQ 8.x translator pro must be able to translate projects on memoQ server 7.8 (2015) or memoQ server 9.x.
... See more
I can't provoke the problem in a server project either.

You are presumably aware of MemoQ's compatibility policy:

Client and server, translation
For the purposes of translation, we guarantee compatibility for one major version “ahead” and “behind”: anyone using memoQ 8.x translator pro must be able to translate projects on memoQ server 7.8 (2015) or memoQ server 9.x.

(Presently at https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010268660-Frequent-release-policy, but their undisciplined webmasters keep moving their articles around without establishing redirects from old URLs, so who knows how many days that link will work?)

Which server version is the project using?

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
With a local project there's only one TM, the local one, and it should theoretically always be up-to-date.

Yes, indeed. It's all very strange. But if it does happen again, the first thing I'd do was to check in the TM if it actually contained the translation. Bugs do happen. And sometimes bugs are only triggered in specific cases (say, if your name begins with 'M', a programming error results in a variable being cleared, or whatever).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get a useful progress report?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »