Heather Howey
Heather Howey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:11
Member (2007)
Swedish to English
Dec 28, 2019

Translator Pro 8.7.18

How can I get MemoQ to tell me when I've translated a certain number of words in a very large document, or let me know how many words I've translated in the day?

Heather

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
One way of doing it Dec 28, 2019

I don't know if there's a way to get memoQ to count the number of words you translate in a day, but there definitely is a workaround. Here's what I do when I have a large job.

Let's I'm working on a 60,000-word document that's due in 30 working days.

60,000÷30 = 2000

That's the number of words I need to translate every working day in order to finish on time. (In practice, of course, I would allow time for proofreading, but I'm keeping this simple.)
... See more
I don't know if there's a way to get memoQ to count the number of words you translate in a day, but there definitely is a workaround. Here's what I do when I have a large job.

Let's I'm working on a 60,000-word document that's due in 30 working days.

60,000÷30 = 2000

That's the number of words I need to translate every working day in order to finish on time. (In practice, of course, I would allow time for proofreading, but I'm keeping this simple.)

2000÷60,000 = 0.033 X 100 = 3.3%

That's the percentage of the document I need to translate every day in order to meet the deadline.

At the beginning of each workday, I hover my mouse pointer over the project name on the memoQ dashboard. The green bar in the Progress column changes to reflect what percentage of the document I have already translated, in whole percentage points. Let's say that today I have translated 46% of the document. Since memoQ rounds off the number, I actually try to reach 4% each day. I know that I need to have translated at least 50% by the end of the day.
Collapse

Heather Howey
Heather Howey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2007)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yess! Dec 28, 2019

Of course! thank-you, James!

/Heather

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 13:11
German to English
+ ...
Running word count Dec 30, 2019

You can run statistics at the end of each day.
This will give a weighted count of what remains (and subtracting from the previous day - the delta)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Run a Report Dec 30, 2019

Project home tab > Overview > Progress > Create new report now

This will create a table showing how many segments, words, characters have been translated and their percentages.

On a long job I will run a report every hour or two, which shows whether I am maintaining the pace or getting distracted.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to mark wordcount-based sections in large document

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »