Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2018

I am just starting to learn MemoQ and am trying to create my first project, including TM (which seems to have imported just fine) and TB (very frustrating). I have Studio 2014 professional and have been using it for several years.

I have searched Kilgray's knowledge base and training and it comes up with other stuff, not what I am looking for. I've also done some searching in the forums but most of the info is old, and I am confused by conflicting info.

I went throu
... See more
I am just starting to learn MemoQ and am trying to create my first project, including TM (which seems to have imported just fine) and TB (very frustrating). I have Studio 2014 professional and have been using it for several years.

I have searched Kilgray's knowledge base and training and it comes up with other stuff, not what I am looking for. I've also done some searching in the forums but most of the info is old, and I am confused by conflicting info.

I went through the 10 training modules for MemoQ 8.4, and the only thing they say about importing terms into a MemoQ termbase is to use basically the same settings as for the TM, but exported as CSV (comma separated value), not tmx.

So I have tried about 4 times to export from Multiterm. CSV does not show up as an accepted file type, so I chose All Files and added the .csv to the name. It shows that it exports terms, and when I try to import into MemoQ, under the Delimited section, Tab is the default, but it only shows one field, F0. I changed it to Comma (which is also what the system "found" for me on one of my attempts), and it now has fields F0 - F3. F0 is code, no import.

F1, F2, and F3 all show in the View panel target terms; nothing shows in my source language. I used plain English (source) and plain Spanish (target), not specifying any country. This should include all my terms from Multiterm, right? In Multiterm, I chose the Export definition as tab delimited. In MemoQ, I tried with and without the checkmark in update by entry number.

6/15 edited above to make shorter. Since I found the answer, not so much info is needed now.
Also, I discovered why F1 also showed a target term in the view panel instead of a source term: somehow I had a Spanish word in the source, and that happened to be the term that the program put on top. I don't know why, since it starts with an "r." It was at the beginning of my term list 3 times! Strange. Anyway, I mention this in case anybody else has the same problem.

[Edited at 2018-06-16 01:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-16 01:09 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exported and imported as .xml, still not right Jun 15, 2018

I tried it again, only this time when I exported as .xml, I saw that I was able to import in MemoQ as .xml. I tried that instead of .csv. But it imported automatically, without bringing up the settings screen. That might have been ok, except that it only shows 3 entries, and I have thousands in my Multiterm TB.

Back to the drawing board, as they say.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it, but need to move TM and TB on screen Jun 15, 2018

Hooray! I didn´t have to export or import again. I just clicked on the place where you tell it if you want the terms for each language to be case sensitive or not. They were blank, so I clicked on them, and then the settings I had already put in there were there. When I went back to the other screen, it showed not 3 entries, but a huge number! The TM and TB are both working in my project.

I moved the preview (View Pane) to my second monitor to allow more space to work. Now
... See more
Hooray! I didn´t have to export or import again. I just clicked on the place where you tell it if you want the terms for each language to be case sensitive or not. They were blank, so I clicked on them, and then the settings I had already put in there were there. When I went back to the other screen, it showed not 3 entries, but a huge number! The TM and TB are both working in my project.

I moved the preview (View Pane) to my second monitor to allow more space to work. Now I have to figure out how to move the translation results section to my second monitor. I tried dragging and dropping but I couldn´t grab it to drag. I tried resizing, making my working area very narrow in hopes of finding an icon to click on at the right side, but I didn´t find one.

Anyone know how to move the TM and TB results section?
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the answer for viewing the panes, too Jun 15, 2018

Posted by Anthony Green: you can just spread the window over two screens
Aug 17, 2016

I have spread the memoQ window across two screens at times when I have had projects with huge amounts of long hits, ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export Multiterm 2014 termbase and import in MemoQ 8.4

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »