MemoQ: What is the asterisk for? (next to the percentage of my segments)
Thread poster: Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:36
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 13, 2018

I often get asterisks next to the percentage of my segments. I've tried to look for their meaning, to no avail.

memoq

Thank you for your help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-06-13 16:28 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
other 100% matches in the TM Jun 13, 2018

At least that's what the star means with green segments in v.2013 R2. I don't know what purple colour means.
MemoQ may insert the most recent translation, but perhaps there are options to insert automatically other candidates based on user name or something.

Philippe

Gusztáv Jánvári

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Philippe Jun 13, 2018

Thank you for the quick answer, to say the least!

I changed my colour settings, that's why you don't recognize the standard colours.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly, more than one 100% match... Jun 13, 2018

...as the colleague mentioned. This means that you are given the opportunity to examine these segments and see whether another one of the translations available in the TM is better for the context at hand.

You can use Go To Next (default shortcut Ctrl-G) to go to these segments to review them in context and apply the ideal 100% match by changing your Go To Next Settings (default shortcut Ctrl-Shift-G), Status tab, disable everything but "Pre-translated, multiple 100% or 101%".
... See more
...as the colleague mentioned. This means that you are given the opportunity to examine these segments and see whether another one of the translations available in the TM is better for the context at hand.

You can use Go To Next (default shortcut Ctrl-G) to go to these segments to review them in context and apply the ideal 100% match by changing your Go To Next Settings (default shortcut Ctrl-Shift-G), Status tab, disable everything but "Pre-translated, multiple 100% or 101%".

If, in the process of reviewing these, when you jump to one of these memoQ sees that you have just chosen one of the possible translations in the same context at another point of your project, it will apply that translation and remove the asterisk automatically.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias mil, Tomás Jun 13, 2018

I'm trying to find where you guys could have seen this peculiar function in the memoQ manual but no such luck! Not that I don't believe you but I'd like to master all the little details. I'm in "Multiple 101% or 100% matches: Why?", but no mention of this damn asterisk! Or maybe I'm slowly getting blind...

Anyhow, thanx all the same!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, indeed there is not that much info... Jun 13, 2018

...but there is a little bit and an explanation for the asterisk (for memoQ 8.4, the current version):
https://help.memoq.com/8-4/en/Things/things-match-rates-from-translation-m.html

As far as I can remember, this has existed in memoQ ever since I have it (since 2009, version 3), but I concede that I might have learnt it just by doing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ: What is the asterisk for? (next to the percentage of my segments)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »