Thread poster: Alexandre Pinel
Alexandre Pinel
Alexandre Pinel
France
English to French
+ ...
Apr 8, 2018

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a translation project for several years and I have several dozens of thousands of files in the same project. I import several dozens of files every week and sometimes it takes me a while to find them amongst all the other files.

Therefore, I was wondering: does it change anything if I remove files (files I finished translated, exported and already sent to my client, obviously) from the project? For example, does it alter the TMs,
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have been working on a translation project for several years and I have several dozens of thousands of files in the same project. I import several dozens of files every week and sometimes it takes me a while to find them amongst all the other files.

Therefore, I was wondering: does it change anything if I remove files (files I finished translated, exported and already sent to my client, obviously) from the project? For example, does it alter the TMs, concordance results etc.?

Kind regards,
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:30
Italian to English
+ ...
Delete whatever you want Apr 9, 2018

the files only indicate what you are working on at the moment, and for most projects I export them to LiveDocs so that I have a contextual hit as and when I need one.
So go ahead and delete any files to be translated from any project without a worry.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sure you can delete them! Apr 9, 2018

This is also the way we work in my office (i.e. keeping the project and replacing files as they come, so that we do not need to reconfigure TMs, TBs, settings...). Simply delete the files you need to get rid of. The translations will be in your translation memory for this customer, right?

If you have any doubt of whether everything translated in the already delivered files is in the memory, you could perhaps do an Export-Bilingual into memoQ XLIFF files before deletion, so that you
... See more
This is also the way we work in my office (i.e. keeping the project and replacing files as they come, so that we do not need to reconfigure TMs, TBs, settings...). Simply delete the files you need to get rid of. The translations will be in your translation memory for this customer, right?

If you have any doubt of whether everything translated in the already delivered files is in the memory, you could perhaps do an Export-Bilingual into memoQ XLIFF files before deletion, so that you can eventually create a new memory in the future with them, should the need arise.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:30
English to Russian
No need to accumulate "several dozens of thousands" Apr 10, 2018

I delete files as soon as the job is paid by client. This [payment] guarantees that I have sent the translation to client and that it is in my TM. Nothing else is needed. Delete.

Alexandre Pinel
Alexandre Pinel
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 11, 2018

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies, it worked, thank you. I deleted the files and they still appear in my concordance search results, that was my main concern! Have a great day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting files from Translation Project in MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »