Termbase handing in memoQ has changed for the worse – why?
Thread poster: Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
Local time: 20:28
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2018

memoQ 8.3 has changed the way termbase results are shown. Previously – up to version 8.1 – with multilingual termbases, memoQ showed hits from all languages. I translate into Swedish, and it was often helpful to check the terms in other languages, if a Swedish term was missing.

But with version 8.3, memoQ only shows hits for Swedish, and when there is no Swedish term in the termbase, memoQ only shows the source term, which indicates that there are translations to other languages
... See more
memoQ 8.3 has changed the way termbase results are shown. Previously – up to version 8.1 – with multilingual termbases, memoQ showed hits from all languages. I translate into Swedish, and it was often helpful to check the terms in other languages, if a Swedish term was missing.

But with version 8.3, memoQ only shows hits for Swedish, and when there is no Swedish term in the termbase, memoQ only shows the source term, which indicates that there are translations to other languages in the termbase. Opening the termbase with Ctril+P doesn’t help: the termbase refuses to show the translations in other languages.

Why has this been changed? This will force me to go back to version 8.1 again – but I would like an explanation!
Collapse

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Upgrade to 8.3.4 Jan 22, 2018

Upgrade to 8.3.4. Kilgray has fortunately given up on the idea of hiding "inactive" languages in the TB pane.

Sadly they still display 6 lines of "Update example from segment" text in the TB pane. Not only is it a waste of space, it's also confusing to mix UI text with TB contents. Hopefully they'll add an option to hide these lines or change the text into an unobtrusive icon in the future.

Like with many other recent UI changes in memoQ, the best we can hope for is tha
... See more
Upgrade to 8.3.4. Kilgray has fortunately given up on the idea of hiding "inactive" languages in the TB pane.

Sadly they still display 6 lines of "Update example from segment" text in the TB pane. Not only is it a waste of space, it's also confusing to mix UI text with TB contents. Hopefully they'll add an option to hide these lines or change the text into an unobtrusive icon in the future.

Like with many other recent UI changes in memoQ, the best we can hope for is that they roll them back.

[Edited at 2018-01-22 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:28
Danish to English
+ ...
8.4 Jan 22, 2018

Have they reverted the Shift+F3 function to working as a toggle function, as it did until version 7 (MemoQ 2015)? Because of that I'm still on MQ2015.

Tomasz Sienicki
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Shift+F3 function Jan 22, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Have they reverted the Shift+F3 function to working as a toggle function, as it did until version 7 (MemoQ 2015)? Because of that I'm still on MQ2015.

Shift+F3 works now as a toggle function and a drop-down menu at the same time.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Shift+F3 Jan 22, 2018

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Shift+F3 works now as a toggle function and a drop-down menu at the same time.

So the change sticks without any further action needed? I can use the arrow keys or the mouse to move on? That's not how the latest change I saw worked. I still had to use the tab key to make it stick. But just the fact that a menu pops up when none is expected or needed is a distraction.

[Edited at 2018-01-22 13:27 GMT]

Tomasz Sienicki
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Shift+F3 function Jan 22, 2018

So the change sticks without any further action needed?

• To change aaa bbb to Aaa bbb press Shift+F3 Enter
  • To change aaa bbb to Aaa Bbb press Shift+F3+F3 Enter
  • To change aaa bbb to AAA BBB press Shift+F3+F3+F3 Enter

But just the fact that a menu pops up when none is expected or needed is a distraction.

Agreed, the software should use the preferences defined in "Predictive Typing and Autopick Settings" (suggestion in text/list/both). As for now, user settings are ignored.

• Hans Näslund (X)
    Hans Näslund (X)
    Sweden
    German to Swedish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks for the tip Jan 22, 2018

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

Like with many other recent UI changes in memoQ, the best we can hope for is that they roll them back.

Thanks for the tip - but when I try to update, I repeatedly get the error message "Cannot connect to update service".

John Fossey
    John Fossey  Identity Verified
    Canada
    Local time: 15:28
    Member (2008)
    French to English
    + ...
    No "Enter" needed for Shift + F3 Jan 22, 2018

Yes, that is true again, as of 8.3.4.

• The final "Enter" is no longer necessary. You just go on typing and the selection is retained without further key strokes.

Thomas T. Frost
    Portugal
    Danish to English
    + ...
    No Shift+F3 doesn't work in 8.3.4 Jan 23, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

Yes, that is true again, as of 8.3.4.

• The final "Enter" is no longer necessary. You just go on typing and the selection is retained without further key strokes.

No. It doesn't stick. If I use Shift+F3 in a word and then move the cursor left or right with an arrow key, nothing is changed, and the up and down arrow keys are blocked in their stupid menu. Useless. It's the old Shift+F3 behaviour we need back, at least as an option.

Jan Truper
    Jan Truper  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2016)
    English to German
    ... Jan 23, 2018

Hans Näslund wrote:

But with version 8.3, memoQ only shows hits for Swedish, and when there is no Swedish term in the termbase, memoQ only shows the source term, which indicates that there are translations to other languages in the termbase. Opening the termbase with Ctril+P doesn’t help: the termbase refuses to show the translations in other languages.

Why has this been changed? This will force me to go back to version 8.1 again – but I would like an explanation!

I prefer seeing TB suggestions for my language (German) only.

I'm still on memoQ 2015 (due to the capitalization blunder described by Thomas T. Frost), and I am often annoyed by TB entries in other languages, as they are completely irrelevant to me.

I wish they would let us set such things according to our own preferences.

[Edited at 2018-01-23 15:15 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
    Portugal
    Danish to English
    + ...
    Write comments on their Facebook page Jan 23, 2018

Jan Truper wrote:

I prefer seeing TB suggestions for my language (German) only.

I'm still on memoQ 2015 (due to the capitalization blunder described by Thomas T. Frost), and I am often annoyed by TB entries in other languages, as they are completely irrelevant to me.

I suggest writing comments on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/kilgray/ to try to attract attention to little annoyances like this that are often frustrating in our daily work. Sending them in support tickets will get you polite replies, but no action. I have had a constructive reply to what I wrote on Facebook, at least, so there may be some hope.

My view is that they need to get down to earth and make daily functions less cumbersome and more adaptable to individual preferences instead of writing academic papers on the future of CAT tools. Of course they need to prepare for the future, but they are neglecting the daily usability. I cannot think of a single improvement for translation users since I started using the software two and a half years ago. I cancelled my support/update subscription in June, as nothing happens except empty talk when you ask for minor improvements and for the removed function Shift+F3 to be restored.

Cristiana Coblis
    Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
    Romania
    Local time: 21:28
    Member (2004)
    English to Romanian
    + ...
    In dire need of revamp Jan 24, 2018

Jan Truper wrote:

I came to the conclusion that not being able to change much in the way core functions behave is actually part of the reason why a lot of people think it's "user friendly". Most people will not touch those preferences anyway. You can actually change very little in the way it works and the preferences you can change are sometimes peculiar and don't work as they should to help the translator. It's something that bothered me from day 1. For that price point, this would be a must.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
    My view is that they need to get down to earth and make daily functions less cumbersome and more adaptable to individual preferences instead of writing academic papers on the future of CAT tools. Of course they need to prepare for the future, but they are neglecting the daily usability. I cannot think of a single improvement for translation users since I started using the software two and a half years ago. I cancelled my support/update subscription in June, as nothing happens except empty talk when you ask for minor improvements and for the removed function Shift+F3 to be restored.

I came to the same conclusion unfortunately. In my view, the software is outdated and in dire need of revamp. Most core functions seem to perform worse than 3 years ago and are not up to par with even much cheaper tools. When you switch back to 2015, you would not feel a lot is really different or worse than in a newer version. Some actually prefer older versions because some features worked better for translators.

Of course, to get a sufficient number of people to upgrade, they choose to make inconsequential and annoying changes only to "fix" them one or two iterations later. This strategy seems to work fine for them and it's much cheaper than revamping a clunky outdated software.

We have all seen this in many cases, where developers do not really understand how users actually use the software and what users need to improve their productivity and make their life easier. As opposed to what changes are easier and cheaper to implement. A software positioned as a professional tool should serve professional users, not hobbyists that might have all day to translate 300 words. I cannot afford to waste a bunch of time with functionality that is automated or behaves better in cheaper tools. Too bad.

[Editat la 2018-01-24 07:17 GMT]

Hans Näslund (X)
    Hans Näslund (X)
    Sweden
    German to Swedish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Update to latest version worked! Jan 24, 2018

Hans Näslund wrote:

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

Thanks for the tip - but when I try to update, I repeatedly get the error message "Cannot connect to update service".

Yesterday I managed to update memoQ, and now version 8.3 works as I want it to do!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase handing in memoQ has changed for the worse – why?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »