Kamil Gałczyński
Kamil Gałczyński  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:06
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
64-bit solves nothing Jun 20, 2016

MaxOO wrote:

In addition to the one linked from the default desktop shortcut, there is another version: memoQ 2015 (x64). I guess it's a 64-bit version. Please try it.

Go to Start -> memoQ 2015 -> and start the program with memoQ 2015 (x64) version.

I hope this will solve your problem.

[Edited at 2016-06-18 17:26 GMT]

No, it won't. Kilgray! Where you are?!

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Anti-virus software? Jun 20, 2016

I once experienced a slow-running/freeze issue with another CAT tool on a machine with certain anti-virus software.

If you can deactivate your anti-virus software temporarily, I recommend you to do so and start memoQ, and see if there is any improvement. Some AV products are said to be very enthusiastic.

[Edited at 2016-06-21 06:32 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
https://support.kilgray.com/ Jun 20, 2016

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

MaxOO wrote:

In addition to the one linked from the default desktop shortcut, there is another version: memoQ 2015 (x64). I guess it's a 64-bit version. Please try it.

Go to Start -> memoQ 2015 -> and start the program with memoQ 2015 (x64) version.

I hope this will solve your problem.

[Edited at 2016-06-18 17:26 GMT]

No, it won't. Kilgray! Where you are?!

Right here: https://support.kilgray.com/

Kamil Gałczyński
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
I won't Jun 20, 2016

write support once again, because everything, what I've received from support was a suggestion „buy more RAM”. But even users with 16 GB RAM and more powerful CPU than mine have problem with this sluggish work. I want the explanation from Kilgray, right here!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
German to English
Slowness on server-based project Jun 21, 2016

I recently started a (MQ) server-based project and also notice more slowness than I have in the past since the latest update. It's only annoying, not crippling.

Kamil Gałczyński
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Kilgray! Aug 14, 2016

Where are hell you?! I'm sick, when I have to work in MemoQ and I haven't choice to work in other programs, because I don't need any problems with conversion from one CAT to another! Test your „brilliant” CAT on other configurations, not on most popular, like creators of No Man's Sky! And correct this (CENSORED) problem with slowness!
You have enough money to buy other configurations.
MemoQ works better on my old ThinkPad R6i with Intel 1,5GHz, 1,5 GB RAM and Windows XP than on
... See more
Where are hell you?! I'm sick, when I have to work in MemoQ and I haven't choice to work in other programs, because I don't need any problems with conversion from one CAT to another! Test your „brilliant” CAT on other configurations, not on most popular, like creators of No Man's Sky! And correct this (CENSORED) problem with slowness!
You have enough money to buy other configurations.
MemoQ works better on my old ThinkPad R6i with Intel 1,5GHz, 1,5 GB RAM and Windows XP than on this!!!
AMD CPU Phenom X4 965 3,4 GHz
RAM: 8GB
MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
GFX: GTX 960 OC

[Zmieniono 2016-08-14 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Try ccleaner Aug 15, 2016

Have you tried it already?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:06
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Lightning fast Aug 15, 2016

For me, since adding RAM (to 16gb) last month and making sure I am using the 64-bit version of MemoQ, it has been running lightning fast.

BTW, if you want Kilgray support, the best way is to email them at [email protected]

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Culprit: The Muse Aug 19, 2016

Today, I experienced this issue of slowness, and memoQ even froze. The culprit was My Muse.

Yesterday, I retrained it in a somewhat adventurous way, and its size increased from 250 MB to 2.5 GB, which I didn't notice until this issue occurred. When I disabled Muse, memoQ began to work as swiftly as it was until yesterday.

So, my proposed solutions are:

1. Disable Muse.

If memoQ works lightly without it, then

2. Create a new Muse an
... See more
Today, I experienced this issue of slowness, and memoQ even froze. The culprit was My Muse.

Yesterday, I retrained it in a somewhat adventurous way, and its size increased from 250 MB to 2.5 GB, which I didn't notice until this issue occurred. When I disabled Muse, memoQ began to work as swiftly as it was until yesterday.

So, my proposed solutions are:

1. Disable Muse.

If memoQ works lightly without it, then

2. Create a new Muse and train it on more strict conditions (so that its size will be smaller); or alternatively,
3. Work without Muse and use Typing Assistant instead (Summit Software [http://www.sumitsoft.com/]), which works swiftly as a second auto-suggestion panel on memoQ and might be more useful.

I already reported this issue to Kilgray and asked for improvement.

For your information, my system environment is:

memoQ: 2015 64-bit version, latest update
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K (4.0 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB

[Edited at 2016-08-19 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Kamil Gałczyński
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
No Muse Sep 6, 2016

I don't use Muse. I've bought extra 8 GB. I have 16 GB RAM now. No differences.
I swear: one day I will make a completely new installation of my Windows 7 and MemoQ. And then I check, if MemoQ works faster or not. If even then the situation won't be better... I'm really (CENSORED). If all it's my fault, I will apologize. But if not...

[Zmieniono 2016-09-06 07:50 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2016-09-06 09:34 GMT]

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Sorry to read this Sep 6, 2016

Hi,

Another possible cause might be auto-propagation. I noticed slowness several times when there were many segments that were covered by auto-propagation.

Yet another possible cause might be the patch match feature. Or other things that memoQ does in the background.

You may be able to find the culprit through test case comparison: starting with translating a simple text document with one TM and one termbase, and testing more complicated projects (though th
... See more
Hi,

Another possible cause might be auto-propagation. I noticed slowness several times when there were many segments that were covered by auto-propagation.

Yet another possible cause might be the patch match feature. Or other things that memoQ does in the background.

You may be able to find the culprit through test case comparison: starting with translating a simple text document with one TM and one termbase, and testing more complicated projects (though this takes much time).

Or, you may see some difference if you use "lighter" settings: a higher fuzzy match threshold, a smaller number of TM matches shown, etc.

These are all that I think would help solve this problem, based on my personal experience.

Hoping you will find the true cause soon.
Collapse

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Kilgray's advuce Sep 8, 2016

Kilgray gave me some "general" information about slowness.

Possible causes (other than hardware-related ones) include

1. Anti-virus software (providing live protection)
2. Large document (project)
3. Large resources

They suggested that I can try the following solutions.

1. Limit the size of a single TM to 250,000 entries; that is, use a larger number of smaller TMs/TBs (they didn't mention the recommended maximum size of a TB).
... See more
Kilgray gave me some "general" information about slowness.

Possible causes (other than hardware-related ones) include

1. Anti-virus software (providing live protection)
2. Large document (project)
3. Large resources

They suggested that I can try the following solutions.

1. Limit the size of a single TM to 250,000 entries; that is, use a larger number of smaller TMs/TBs (they didn't mention the recommended maximum size of a TB).
2. Disable the fragment assembly feature if not necessary (Options-> Appearances -> Lookup results).

But, this may be too general ...

[Edited at 2016-09-08 14:54 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still puzzled Sep 9, 2016

It really amazes me that the OP has these problems with memoQ. I have had slow computers with memoQ and it worked really fast! Today I use a much better machine and even auto-propagation of a segment hundreds of times is a matter of 3 seconds at most, even with a large memory and a large file.

I really think your problems relate more to your previous setup (antivirus and its settings being the most probable cause) or to a non-Kilgray component used by memoQ, which could be wrongly i
... See more
It really amazes me that the OP has these problems with memoQ. I have had slow computers with memoQ and it worked really fast! Today I use a much better machine and even auto-propagation of a segment hundreds of times is a matter of 3 seconds at most, even with a large memory and a large file.

I really think your problems relate more to your previous setup (antivirus and its settings being the most probable cause) or to a non-Kilgray component used by memoQ, which could be wrongly installed or of an incorrect version.

Have you tried the following:
- Uninstall memoQ, uninstall all versions of .NET Framework you may have in your computer, and then install memoQ again (this will effectively install the .NET Framework version included in memoQ's setup)
- Uninstall your antivirus software, see whether memoQ runs smoothly, then reinstall your antivirus software.

Two quick comments:
- The size of the file you are translating is irrelevant once it is imported, since after importing, the file is already a set of records in a database and no longer a file per se, as it happens with SDL Studio. memoQ does not have to open/keep in memory/save the whole file as happens with SDL Studio.

- Taking of antivirus: do you use a server with memoQ or is everything used in the same machine? Some time ago I found that if I disabled antivirus protection of the server's drive in the client machine, speed increased considerably (the server already has its own antivirus). If you use a server, find the settings where you can disable antivirus scanning of server shares and give it a try.
Collapse

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ's rather slow May 15, 2018

I figured the MemoQ "engine" is in general significantly more clumsier than, say, the Trados or DejaVu one in terms of overall optimization and smoothness of working. Switching anything in the interface is done with quite a lag, and the overall experience is so-so.

On the same machine (of mine) DejaVu will fly like a jumbo-jet, while MemoQ will just keep loading that settings window... and occasionally crashing. But the crashing issue seems to be now gone, fortunately.

... See more
I figured the MemoQ "engine" is in general significantly more clumsier than, say, the Trados or DejaVu one in terms of overall optimization and smoothness of working. Switching anything in the interface is done with quite a lag, and the overall experience is so-so.

On the same machine (of mine) DejaVu will fly like a jumbo-jet, while MemoQ will just keep loading that settings window... and occasionally crashing. But the crashing issue seems to be now gone, fortunately.

I've tried the program on different platforms (all with pretty/very modern i5s and 4/8 GB RAM), and on none of them did it work impressively smooth. It's quite a pity, given that it incorporates a number of interesting solutions and is very reliable in terms of properly importing and exporting documents without a forest of tags.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 7.8.153 -DEAD SLOW

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »