Does Google show your business location in a Google search?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 14, 2020

Hello everyone

Today I noticed that Google shows my "business location" (which happens to be my home) plus additional business related information (e.g. the option to post reviews, opening hours, etc.) when I google for my name plus "translator".

business info on google search

I did not ask for this, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove my address from it (or at least prevent it from showing the location on a map and streetview), but I'm curious: how many of you get the same service when you google your name plus "translator"?

And, do you know how one can go about getting it, if you don't have it?

Samuel

Laurent Mercky

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
OMG! Jan 14, 2020

Wow, that's a massive invasion of privacy, I'd say, if you're trading as a feeelancer, I.e. as a physical person. It's different for a limited company as they would have a different address etc.

I don't have any remedy, but I'd be furious if it were me. Start gathering data -- like that screenshot -- and prepare to shoot Google with it. I dare say the news media can get a line of communication going.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Limited control here Jan 14, 2020

One can edit one's business' settings here:
https://business.google.com
There is the option to remove a location, but the pop-up says that even if you remove your location from "Google My Business", it will still appear in e.g. Google Maps and similar places.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Google help center: Add or edit your business address Jan 14, 2020

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2853879?hl=en

Just to add to what Samuel has already written.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
My company (Moje firma in Czech) Jan 14, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I did not ask for this, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove my address from it (or at least prevent it from showing the location on a map and streetview), but I'm curious: how many of you get the same service when you google your name plus "translator"?

And, do you know how one can go about getting it, if you don't have it?

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

if you search "condak.net" Google displays info on my limited company. There is minimum infos direct from me. It's my fault. The service is free and I can create my web site by Google for free. There are another services, as statistics, messaging, email and the possibility of placing paid advertising, which is why there are free services. There are apps for mobiles, too.

If I search "Sheila Wilson translator" or your name (from Czechia) I get the results without map and street-view.

Best regards,

Milan
PS: Thank for skive me to update my info for Google and its users.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do you have a Google Business Account, Samuel? Jan 14, 2020

Both those links are for someone who has set up a Google Business Account and needs to manage it. I assumed from the original posting that you were entirely unaware of how this information got online, Samuel.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sheila Jan 14, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Both those links are for someone who has set up a Google Business Account and needs to manage it.

Well, I do pay for Gmail, so perhaps that counts as a "Google Business Account".

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Current status May 14, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Today I noticed that Google shows my "business location" (which happens to be my home) plus additional business related information (e.g. the option to post reviews, opening hours, etc.) when I google for my name plus "translator".

Hi Samuel,

I was hoping you could follow up on this post. For what I can see from the screen shot in your initial post it looks like you had already claimed the business at the time of posting (the avatar on the top right shows you are logged on and it says ‘edit your business info’). Therefore it seems logical that your business shows up in Google Maps. Google is notorious for merging their services, so I don’t blame you for not even knowing about it.

I’m wondering if I should claim my business in Google because it does turn up in the side window. The address my business is registered at is my home address and I am required by law to state this address on my website. Should I be worried for cyber squatting? If I would claim the Google My Business lot I surely would like an alternative form of registration.

For what I can make of it, it looks like I have two options: Have the business registered without the physical address or register the business as a ‘service area business’. What have you done since your initial post in January? When I Google your name the side window shows your details and a map of Western Europe with a red line along the border of the Netherlands, so it looks like you are now registered as a service area business in Google My Business. How does that work out for you? I mean, I don't think you're actually solely targeting potential customers in the Netherlands? Is your cyber presence now stronger in the Netherlands than in the rest of the world? I would really appreciate your input! Thanks!

Regards,

Erwin

Disclaimer: I do have a Google Search Console account

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Erwin May 14, 2020

Erwin van Wouw wrote:
I was hoping you could follow up on this post.
I’m wondering if I should claim my business in Google because it does turn up in the side window.
What have you done since your initial post in January?

I haven't done anything, to be honest. I must have forgotten all about this the very next day.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I pay for gmail May 14, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

One can edit one's business' settings here:
https://business.google.com
There is the option to remove a location, but the pop-up says that even if you remove your location from "Google My Business", it will still appear in e.g. Google Maps and similar places.

But my location is not shown, it seems you have a business account

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
English to German
Interesting May 14, 2020

I am listed as well and I am very sure that I don't have a Google Business accound. It seems to me as if the entry was generated from the data on my website as my website is linked as well. On the plus side: If you google „translator + my part of town“, I seem to be the No. 1 match on Google Maps. But I don't expect anyone to do that. So I haven't made my mind up about this yet. But thanks for making me aware.

Erwin van Wouw
Netherlands
English to Dutch
My question remains May 14, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
I haven't done anything, to be honest. I must have forgotten all about this the very next day.

You might have forgotten about the changes you've made as well Based on your current Google presence in comparison to the screen grab you posted earlier, it looks like you've restricted your service area. It is discussed in this article in Dutch: https://rooza.nl/adresgegevens-verbergen-in-google-my-business/

So my question remains: How does that work out for you? Is your cyber presence now stronger in the Netherlands than in the rest of the world? Have you seen a decrease in visitors from abroad?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Erwin May 14, 2020

Erwin van Wouw wrote:
Is your cyber presence now stronger in the Netherlands than in the rest of the world? Have you seen a decrease in visitors from abroad?

I have no idea how any of this affects me. I don't really track my presence on a per-country basis.

Erwin van Wouw
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Only for local businesses with physical representation May 15, 2020

Steffen Kern wrote:
It seems to me as if the entry was generated from the data on my website as my website is linked as well. On the plus side: If you google „translator + my part of town“, I seem to be the No. 1 match on Google Maps. But I don't expect anyone to do that. So I haven't made my mind up about this yet. But thanks for making me aware.

I did some more research and found that Google My Business is actually intended for local business only and that the data is gathered from Google accounts and public websites like you said. I also found some proof that national, regional and international searches ignore the Google My Business information. So theoretically it wouldn’t hurt your global business if you would have a GMB listing. However, it seems it’s not suitable for most freelance translators. The GMB guidelines show that “Listings on Google My Business can only be created for businesses that either have a physical location that customers can visit, or that travel to visit customers where they are.” and “(...) online-only businesses aren't eligible for Google My Business listings.”

You can however circumvent the restrictions by opting for the Service Area Business listing (country of residence being the largest possible area option). I’m still undecided.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Google show your business location in a Google search?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »