Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:08
Russian to English
+ ...
DeepL is now out in Russian Dec 11, 2018

My preliminary impression is that it is not as good as German>English, which is sometimes excellent. (Of course, you always have to check.) Hopefully it will improve.
A test I did today renders "статичное образование" as "static education", whereas the context (personality psychology) demands "static entity" (Google Translate and Yandex) or "static formation."

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:08
English to Italian
Hopefully not Dec 12, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:

My preliminary impression is that it is not as good as German>English, which is sometimes excellent. (Of course, you always have to check.) Hopefully it will improve.

But that's just me, of course, with my old-fashioned view of translation as an "handicraft" of sorts...

... and besides, I guess nowadays it's pretty difficult to halt a CPU by forcing a sabot in its cogs...

Jean Dimitriadis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How a German company (DeepL) managed to be better than Google

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »