José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It is getting worse all the time Jan 12, 2018

After GT became "neural", I re-ran my earlier test comparison, and noticed that it is getting worse.

The updated EN > PT-BR test is at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/comparison.html

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:23
French to English
+ ...
It's all in the name... Jan 12, 2018

...neural sometimes becomes nervous.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
A neuralgic network? Jan 13, 2018

Ouch.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 02:23
English to Finnish
+ ...
Google is good for laughs, sometimes Jan 13, 2018

I checked "legal briefs" into Finnish. Got the equivalent of "lawful underwear"

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
I use GT but not for two words Jan 14, 2018

I tested DGT-Wizard. I opened 14 DOCX files converted from PDF.

Into folder tm/auto I put 14 TMXs created from extracted text. (I translated TXT files with Google Translate files of size 40kB-65 kB. Then I aligned files with English text and MTed into Czech.)

A Tag-wipe builded into DGT-Wizard reduced number of tags in DOCX. From 13 thousand unique segments I received 6 thousand raw translated sentences. I need edit 5% of translation, 95% is OK. But I have to open 7 tho
... See more
I tested DGT-Wizard. I opened 14 DOCX files converted from PDF.

Into folder tm/auto I put 14 TMXs created from extracted text. (I translated TXT files with Google Translate files of size 40kB-65 kB. Then I aligned files with English text and MTed into Czech.)

A Tag-wipe builded into DGT-Wizard reduced number of tags in DOCX. From 13 thousand unique segments I received 6 thousand raw translated sentences. I need edit 5% of translation, 95% is OK. But I have to open 7 thousand segments, because they contain some tags (sometimes only one).
In comparition with other web MT gives me Google Translate biggest block of translated text. I use it for speed and power. By verification of suitable term I translate one-two-three words and I am looking on back translations and variants.

Your "Gracias, adios" translate fo me

Babylon: Thanks, bye.
Bing: Thank you, goodbye.

Google Translate: Thank God. Interjection:
Thank god! (Gracias a dios!) /Spanish sentence starts with exclamation mark/
Thank goodness! (Gracias a dios!)

Promt: Thank you, farewell.
Yandex: Thank you, good-bye.

I have each five minutes a good reason for a laughter. Sometimes is error in source text I do no see it. Example: CTRL+SHIT -- I see CTRL+SHIFT, but GT translates a word SHIT.

Milan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate Strikes Again

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »