International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
DeepL
Téma indítója: Michael Mangelsdorf

Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
Ha ha Sep 12

CafeTran Training wrote:

....Just don't expect the translation to be correct. ..




Direct link Reply with quote
 

Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Lengyelország
Local time: 16:24
Tag (2016 óta)
angol - lengyel
+ ...
HAL 9000 Sep 12

The advances in MT and AI in general, remind me of HAL 9000 from Space Odyssey. The quote from Wikipedia article about HAL 9000:

"HAL is capable of speech, speech recognition, facial recognition, natural language processing, lip reading, art appreciation, interpreting emotional behaviours, automated reasoning, and playing chess."

The very fact that professional translators try to compete with MT showing off still their superiority gives it a lot of credit. Instead of competing, why don't you just supervise it in front of your "control rooms"?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
No competition Sep 13

There's no competition. And let's remember: HAL screwed up. Big time.

[Edited at 2017-09-13 09:31 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2004 óta)
angol - olasz
it will happen... Sep 13

but only for the lower end of the market... cheap and nasty. It's already happening to a certain extent... luckily there are many translators in the world intelligent enough to understand the ultimate consequence and refuse to take part in it... from a strict technological point of view, the human brain will never be reproduced and replaced. It would have happened by now. Don't believe the hype.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Lengyelország
Local time: 16:24
angol - lengyel
+ ...
Not for MT post-editing, but... Sep 15

I agree that all today's MT engines used for translating full sentences or paragraphs produces lots of garbage and post-editing such a "translation" is simply a tedious thing to do.

However... there are already several CAT tools that utilize only chunks of what MT engines produce, especially via autosuggest/autowrite functionality. I'm particularly impressed with what Studio's Autosuggest can do, providing me with useful chunks of text from MT engines, TMs, fragment matches, Regex etc. This really speeds up the process. In just one sentence I can use a chunk from Microsoft MT, followed by Google, than again Microsoft, a chunk from a TM and voila


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
angol - német
+ ...
DeepL search in Intelliwebsearch? Sep 20

Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
BOT Sep 20

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe


The post above was written by a computer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2009 óta)
holland - angol
+ ...
Fake news! No it wasn't. Sep 20

Tom in London wrote:

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe


The post above was written by a computer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
angol - német
+ ...
Both bots Sep 20

Michael and Tom are both bots

Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe [/quote]

The post above was written by a computer. [/quote]

[/quote]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Olaszország
Local time: 16:24
ProZ.com-tag
angol - olasz
+ ...
LOL Sep 20

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Michael and Tom are both bots


Hello everybody,

it was quite a shock for me to see how fast MT is progressing. In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.There'll be autonomous writing and translating like autonomous driving. That's quite scary.

But meanwhile we have to use this tool to our advantage.

I tried to create a DeepL search for Intelliwebsearch but I am too stupid. The wizard fails because there's no search button on the DeepL website. I asked on the IWS forum but no answer. I just found out that F5 makes the cursor jump into the search field.

Anybody already created a search setting?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe


The post above was written by a computer.


XD

However, it seems translators are not the only ones on the verge of extinction...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/03/08/opinion/sunday/algorithm-human-quiz.html?mcubz=0


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 15:24
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
Exterminate Sep 20

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

The post above was written by a computer.


EXECUTE


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosznia-Hercegovina
Local time: 16:24
angol - horvát
+ ...
Interesting. Sep 20

Noe Tessmann wrote:

In several years maybe you'll spot humans because they still make mistakes.


Sounds like a quote from Star Wars.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Olaszország
Local time: 16:24
ProZ.com-tag
angol - olasz
+ ...
British Skynet Sep 20

Tom in London wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

The post above was written by a computer.


EXECUTE


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU&t=12


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosznia-Hercegovina
Local time: 16:24
angol - horvát
+ ...
Machines replacing humans. Sep 20

I have several questions related to this statement:

1. Who designs the machine?
2. Once broken, who is going to fix and maintain the machine?
3. Who operates the machine?
4. Once the market requires a new machine, who is going to design a new concept?

I guess the answer to all four questions is - another machine. Since the humans are out of the game, obviously.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 16:24
ProZ.com-tag
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Not machines or humans ... Sep 21

... pre-programmed supermarionation. Captain Scarlet, in other words. And he's indestructible, too.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Terminológiai keresés
  • Munkák
  • Fórumok
  • Multiple search