Is Babelfish translator a rule-based machine translation?
Thread poster: Chiara Badesso
Chiara Badesso
Chiara Badesso
Switzerland
Local time: 23:11
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2016

Do you know if https://www.babelfish.com/success/ is rule-based, statistical or hybrid? I can't find any information about this engine ...

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
about BabelFish Jun 20, 2016

chiarabadesso wrote:

Do you know if https://www.babelfish.com/success/ is rule-based, statistical or hybrid? I can't find any information about this engine ...

It has the registered name BabelFish at the site. Appears to be the the one which appeared in 1997 in a co-venture between DEC/Digital and Systran. It was the Systran rule-based system.
Only current people at Systran would be able to tell you if they are still the underlying system of this specific site.

Jeff

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would say it is rules-based Jun 21, 2016

I say so because it identifies the nature of words and their combination quite well when you enter a sentence that is syntactically correct but is plain absurd. You can try by creating a sentence containing highly improbable collocations (you probably remember Chomsky's good ole' "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously").

When you enter such a sentence just made up by you (so that there is no previous history of it), Babelfish builds a sentence that is correct syntactically, while Go
... See more
I say so because it identifies the nature of words and their combination quite well when you enter a sentence that is syntactically correct but is plain absurd. You can try by creating a sentence containing highly improbable collocations (you probably remember Chomsky's good ole' "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously").

When you enter such a sentence just made up by you (so that there is no previous history of it), Babelfish builds a sentence that is correct syntactically, while Google Translate makes a total mess of it: it cannot find sufficient group candidates to cut and paste and build the translation sentence.
Collapse

Chiara Badesso
Chiara Badesso
Switzerland
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll ask people at Systran Jun 21, 2016

Thank you Tomás and Jeff for your answers. It's funny how hard it is to find (simple) technical info about a translation engines ...

@Jeff: I also had the same impression
@Jeff: I'll get in touch with Systran

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Did Systran reply about Babelfish? Oct 9, 2018

Chiara Badesso wrote:

Thank you Tomás and Jeff for your answers. It's funny how hard it is to find (simple) technical info about a translation engines ...

@Jeff: I also had the same impression
@Jeff: I'll get in touch with Systran

Hi Chiara, did Systran reply to you?
They were doing hybrid MT (rule based with statistical processing components) and have now been focused on Neural MT for the past 2 years.
But they usually don't put the most updated and customized MT systems on sites like Babelfish. That is mainly for paying customers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Babelfish translator a rule-based machine translation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »