Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 25, 2020

Ciao ragazzi,

Scusatemi se scrivo in inglese, pero non sono fluente in italiano e faccio ancora tanti errori...

I am a German-English freelance translator living in Italy. I speak Italian well enough to get by, but not good enough to write it properly, so I was hoping for some help.

Last night, I received an email from my main (and currently only) translation agency (based in NYC), telling me that they will no longer send me work during the corona crisis, s
... See more
Ciao ragazzi,

Scusatemi se scrivo in inglese, pero non sono fluente in italiano e faccio ancora tanti errori...

I am a German-English freelance translator living in Italy. I speak Italian well enough to get by, but not good enough to write it properly, so I was hoping for some help.

Last night, I received an email from my main (and currently only) translation agency (based in NYC), telling me that they will no longer send me work during the corona crisis, since they are assigning my work to in-house staff instead. They had been sending me frequent work on a weekly basis for eight years, so essentially, I am unemployed for the time being.

I would like to send my landlord a quick message (I am praying she is gonna cut as a break for a couple of months), but my Italian is just not good enough. I had planned on drafting a message in Italian and sending it to an Italian friend for proofing, but baby is teething and did not sleep all night and I am tired and nervous and keep getting stuck just writing the first sentence...

Being a freelancer myself, I hate it when people ask for free translations, so I am happy to pay for it (okay, maybe not happy, but willing) - maybe somebody can take a quick look at my draft and let me know how much they would charge (PayPal or bank transfer). I don't need a literal translation, as long as it gets the message across. Here it is:

"Good morning, Mrs. xzy,

How are you? I hope all is well and that you and your family are safe and healthy! I am writing you this message, because last night I received an email from the (New York-based) translation agency for whom I have been working for the last eight years, telling me that they will no longer send me work during the corona crisis, because they had to close down their office. I will reach out to other agencies and am trying to get work from them, but given the current situation, this will probably be difficult.

We have some savings to cover our rent, but I am quite worried what will happen if the crisis lasts for several months. If worst comes to worst, would it be possible to pay you a reduced rent for a few months and pay you the difference once my New York agency sends me work again (or once I find a new agency)? I am so sorry to be asking you this, but I just don't know what else to do right now. 

Kind regards,
Julia"

Would be great, if somebody could help me. Stay safe and healthy everybody!
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:27
English to German
+ ...
aiuto con un messaggio in italiano Mar 25, 2020

Hallo Julia
vielleicht kann ich dir helfen.

Alessandra Muzzi
Alessandra Muzzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Traduzione Mar 25, 2020

Ciao Julia, ecco una traduzione fatta rapidamente (con Deepl e poi corretta). Sarebbe migliorabile ma sostanzialmente è corretta e credo vada bene per quello che ti serve.

In bocca al lupo nella tua ricerca di lavoro! E comunque, mai dipendere da un solo cliente!

Buongiorno, signora Xzy,

Come sta? Spero che tutto vada bene per lei e la sua famiglia! Li scrivo questo messaggio, perché ieri sera ho ricevuto una mail dall'agenzia di traduzioni (con sede a Ne
... See more
Ciao Julia, ecco una traduzione fatta rapidamente (con Deepl e poi corretta). Sarebbe migliorabile ma sostanzialmente è corretta e credo vada bene per quello che ti serve.

In bocca al lupo nella tua ricerca di lavoro! E comunque, mai dipendere da un solo cliente!

Buongiorno, signora Xzy,

Come sta? Spero che tutto vada bene per lei e la sua famiglia! Li scrivo questo messaggio, perché ieri sera ho ricevuto una mail dall'agenzia di traduzioni (con sede a New York) per la quale lavoro da otto anni, che mi dice che non mi manderanno più lavoro durante la crisi del coronavirus, perché hanno dovuto chiudere il loro ufficio. Mi metterò in contatto con altre agenzie e cercherò di ottenere lavoro da loro, ma data la situazione attuale, probabilmente sarà difficile.

Abbiamo qualche risparmio per coprire l'affitto, ma sono abbastanza preoccupata di cosa accadrà se la crisi durerà diversi mesi. Se la situazione dovesse peggiorare, sarebbe possibile pagarle un affitto ridotto per qualche mese e pagarle la differenza quando la mia agenzia di New York mi manderà di nuovo lavoro (o quando avrò trovato una nuova agenzia)? Mi dispiace molto doverle chiedere questo, ma non so proprio cos'altro fare in questo momento.

Cordialmente,

Julia
Collapse

Julia Glasmann
Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie mille, Alessandra !! Mar 25, 2020

Crepi!

Yeah, I used to work for a number of agencies up until my son was born in September last year, but since I only can do part-time with the baby, I kept only that one particular agency, since they were my oldest client and are the only ones to send me work on a weekly basis with a fixed deadline Friday night. I'm sure I'll get work from other agencies again eventually, but I know it can take a while and having a baby to take care of, this just makes me nervous...

A
... See more
Crepi!

Yeah, I used to work for a number of agencies up until my son was born in September last year, but since I only can do part-time with the baby, I kept only that one particular agency, since they were my oldest client and are the only ones to send me work on a weekly basis with a fixed deadline Friday night. I'm sure I'll get work from other agencies again eventually, but I know it can take a while and having a baby to take care of, this just makes me nervous...

Anyways, thank you so much for your help with my message, Alessandra, it is greatly appreciated - at least one less thing for me to worry about!

Take care,
Julia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

aiuto con un messaggio in italiano

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »