You ever been hired for a language pair and then asked to "reverse" it once you show up?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2021

100% mistake on their part, since they even asked what accent I had in English.

I get on the Zoom call and it turns out they hired both interpreters as RU > EN and somehow came to the arbitrary conclusion that I drew the EN > RU straw.

Contrary to popular opinion...NOT actually the same skill.

I'd rate myself as an experienced A- in one and an amateurish C+ in the other.

I woke up early for it and it was a pretty generalist conversation so I gr
... See more

I get on the Zoom call and it turns out they hired both interpreters as RU > EN and somehow came to the arbitrary conclusion that I drew the EN > RU straw.

I woke up early for it and it was a pretty generalist conversation so I grumbled politely but then obliged and winged it.

In the end, their other interpreter apparently had some quality issues or somehow managed to annoy the majority of English speakers...and mid-call, they ask us to switch places. Again. Lol.

Still, how would you guys handle this? Wing it? Walk away? Ask for extra payment? Or what?

[Edited at 2021-02-13 20:05 GMT]
Collapse

Angelica Christin
Angelica Christin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:29
Member (2008)
English to Swahili
+ ...
Unacceptable! Feb 13, 2021

Walk away. Clearly common courtesy is not common for all.

Adieu
Angus Stewart

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was via freaking upwork Feb 13, 2021

Angelica Christin wrote:

Walk away. Clearly common courtesy is not common for all.

I didn't have high expectations (especially after they rescheduled once), it was just filler for variety's sake.

Didn't want to take a hit on ratings/complaints for it. And I was already awake at 8am on a Saturday anyway.

This "Uber model" unfortunately makes compromising preferable to taking a stand for smaller disputes.

Korana Lasić

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
You have every right to be unhappy about it but you made the right decision Feb 13, 2021

Adieu wrote:

I woke up early for it and it was a pretty generalist conversation so I grumbled politely but then obliged and winged it.

In the end, their other interpreter apparently had some quality issues or somehow managed to annoy the majority of English speakers...and mid-call, they ask us to switch places. Again. Lol.

Still, how would you guys handle this? Wing it? Walk away? Ask for extra payment? Or what?

[Edited at 2021-02-13 20:05 GMT]

This sort of thing happens. Many agencies are only now starting to offer RSI and RCI, too. So, well, everyone is learning the ropes as they go. So are many clients who would've otherwise held in-person events if not for the pandemic.

You didn't lose the job and you might want to explain to them that you really aren't an ENG to RUS interpreter but in the end, it is what it is. Someone made a mistake and it doesn't really reflect on you as you aren't looking or advertising ENG to RUS interpreting work in the first place. Whatever service you provided, don't compare it to your RUS to ENG skills. You did your best based on someone else's error.

Personally, I wouldn't ask for any more than the rate you already quoted. I just don't see how I could justify that.

Next time just ask them to double-check.

Edit: Oh Upwork. Well then, that explains it.

[Edited at 2021-02-13 22:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You ever been hired for a language pair and then asked to "reverse" it once you show up?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »