Dominika Fonyiová
Dominika Fonyiová
Slovakia
Local time: 08:04
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dec 8, 2019

Hello,

I've just obtained an interpreting assignment for 16 December, on the occassion of opening a motorway bypass. The opening ceremony will take place outside (on that road -- estimated duration: 1,5 hours) and I'm expected to do whispered interpreting for the president of the company responsible for the construction.

Now, it is going to be no more than 2°C outside (if I'm lucky enough!) and this will be the first time I'll be interpreting in such weather conditions
... See more
Hello,

I've just obtained an interpreting assignment for 16 December, on the occassion of opening a motorway bypass. The opening ceremony will take place outside (on that road -- estimated duration: 1,5 hours) and I'm expected to do whispered interpreting for the president of the company responsible for the construction.

Now, it is going to be no more than 2°C outside (if I'm lucky enough!) and this will be the first time I'll be interpreting in such weather conditions (so far, I've only interpreted indoors).

Does anyone have any tips for surviving this? What about the dress code? Will it be OK if I wear low-heel boots (as a woman)? I'm also afraid I will suffer from cold-like symptoms, which might be very unpleasant, considering that it's chuchotage.

Thanks for any advice!
Collapse

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I dont see any problems. Dec 8, 2019

Just wear warm clothes. Low heels are absolutely ok.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Have some Dec 8, 2019

warm winter boots, an elegant professional winter coat and a warm scarf. If you need tips on the dress code, looking at country delegations meeting each other outside parliaments, palaces and so on in cold weather should help you with plenty of ideas.

For cold-like symptoms I personally always have tissues with me as well as very strong mints to soothe my voice and throat if needed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cold weather and whispered interpreting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »