Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 17, 2015

A previous thread "Interpreting is a Dangerous Business" is about the case of an Afghan interpreter who is at risk of his life from the Taliban after interpreting for British forces in Afghanistan.
There is a petition on "Change.com" which has gathered nearly 100,000 signatures, but not an official petition to the UK Government, which if a certain number of signatures is reached (25,000 I think), obliges the Government to state its position on the issue. I am trying to start such a petiti
... See more
A previous thread "Interpreting is a Dangerous Business" is about the case of an Afghan interpreter who is at risk of his life from the Taliban after interpreting for British forces in Afghanistan.
There is a petition on "Change.com" which has gathered nearly 100,000 signatures, but not an official petition to the UK Government, which if a certain number of signatures is reached (25,000 I think), obliges the Government to state its position on the issue. I am trying to start such a petition, but to get it published I need five supporters. So far I have four, of whom two are from ProZ (thank you, Agneta Pallinder and David Knowles). Could someone who is a UK citizen or resident please be the fifth to support it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106218/sponsors/dtDZIn92XJNEmn4q2rUU

[Edited at 2015-08-17 21:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-18 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hoping for more support from members here Aug 17, 2015

Echoing Jack in hoping more UK citizens among ProZ members will feel moved to signing.

[Edited at 2015-08-17 20:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-17 20:02 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Jack Aug 17, 2015

Done.
RL

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Petition should now soon be published. Aug 17, 2015

Thanks to Robin Levey, I now have the requisite five signatures for the petition to be published after a final check by the site organizers.
But please will those eligible (UK citizens and people resident in the UK) continue to add their support.

[Edited at 2015-08-18 05:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-18 10:06 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:25
French to German
+ ...
Shared Aug 17, 2015

I can't sign it as I am German but I shared on the net.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Jack (again...) Aug 17, 2015

Having now read this: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standards , and in particular item 1. under “How petitions work”, which reads: “Only British citizens and UK residents can create or sign a petition” it is not entirely clear whether my signature is valid. I am a British citizen, but I am not a UK resident. Time... See more
Having now read this: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#standards , and in particular item 1. under “How petitions work”, which reads: “Only British citizens and UK residents can create or sign a petition” it is not entirely clear whether my signature is valid. I am a British citizen, but I am not a UK resident. Time will tell… - see here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106218/moderation-info

Colleagues with citizenship of the Crown Dependencies or other entities with more-or-less-strong ties to the British Crown might also be disqualified, on the basis of the above quote.

With regard to the uncertainty expressed in Jack’s first post as regards the number of signatories needed before anyone takes a blind bit of notice of the petition, items 5 and 6 (under the same heading), state:

At 10,000 signatures you get a response from the government.
At 100,000 signatures your petition will be considered for a debate in Parliament.

I would recommend that anyone interested in this (or any other petition on the petition.parliament.uk website) would do well to read everything on the page linked above.

RL
Collapse

MsYvaine
MsYvaine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Signed Aug 17, 2015

hello,

I've just signed it as a UK resident/British citizen. Hope it goes live and we'll be able to share online.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I've signed it too. Aug 17, 2015

Thanks, Jack, for starting the petition.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Link still open Aug 18, 2015

Every time someone signs up, they notify me and say "We're checking your petition, it is nearly ready to go". So please continue to add signatures through the link
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106218/sponsors/dtDZIn92XJNEmn4q2rUU
If it changes when approved, I'll let you know. Thanks to all those who have signed so far.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
British citizen or UK resident Aug 18, 2015

According to the website it is open to British citizens AND UK residents. You might want to edit your original message to make this clear, so that foreigners living in the UK realise that they can sign too.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Read the petition? Aug 18, 2015

Is there anywhere we can read the actual petition? I'd like to know exactly what I'm signing.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
To Timothy Barton Aug 18, 2015

Thank you for pointing out that UK residents, even if not UK citizens, are also entitled to vote. I've amended my previous posts accordingly.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can read it until they approve it to be published. They still keep telling me it's awaiting approval, which should come through any time now. But it was based on the case of an Afghan interpreter for British forces in Afghanistan who is under threat from the Taliban but is being refused asylum in the UK. S
... See more
Thank you for pointing out that UK residents, even if not UK citizens, are also entitled to vote. I've amended my previous posts accordingly.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can read it until they approve it to be published. They still keep telling me it's awaiting approval, which should come through any time now. But it was based on the case of an Afghan interpreter for British forces in Afghanistan who is under threat from the Taliban but is being refused asylum in the UK. See earlier thread "Interpreting is Dangerous Business". It urges the government to grant asylum to all former interpreters for the British forces in Afghanistan who want it.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
UK citizens resident abroad can also sign Aug 18, 2015

I had no problems from Denmark.
You are asked to indicate your location from a list of countries.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
... Aug 19, 2015

The Daily Mail reported yesterday he was executed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3201503/Translator-abandoned-UK-executed-tries-flee-Taliban-Interpreter-killed-captured-Iran-amid-fears-four-suffered-fate.html

It's still unconfirmed but the story is now being picked u
... See more
The Daily Mail reported yesterday he was executed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3201503/Translator-abandoned-UK-executed-tries-flee-Taliban-Interpreter-killed-captured-Iran-amid-fears-four-suffered-fate.html

It's still unconfirmed but the story is now being picked up by other news outlets (The Frontier Post, Russia Today, etc.), a couple even linked by the BBC, although they have yet to confirm the story...

[Edited at 2015-08-19 03:33 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
That's appalling! Aug 19, 2015

I am so sorry for these men and their families! The UK Government's lack of action on this is an utter disgrace! It almost makes me ashamed to be British!
Meanwhile they keep telling me "Your petition is nearly ready to go". They should have given it the go-ahead by now.
I don't think there is any ambiguity about who is eligible to vote, there are two classes:
(1) UK citizens, wherever in the world they may be resident;
(2) Residents of the UK, of whatever citizenship.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Petition to UK Government to grant asylum to Afghan interpreter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »