what are the prospects of working as an interpreters in the legal sector
Thread poster: yumedo
yumedo
yumedo
Local time: 22:58
Aug 1, 2015

Hi dear anybody:

I am a newbie (mandarin/ English) with about one year experience working in the NHS sector. now I am considering to take on a DPIS course in order to take courts/ tribunal assignments .

Could anyone please answers questions below honestly based on their work experience to help me making the right decision ?

1)How many hours average per week you get to work for the court's and tribunal's assignments.
2) How far do you have to tr
... See more
Hi dear anybody:

I am a newbie (mandarin/ English) with about one year experience working in the NHS sector. now I am considering to take on a DPIS course in order to take courts/ tribunal assignments .

Could anyone please answers questions below honestly based on their work experience to help me making the right decision ?

1)How many hours average per week you get to work for the court's and tribunal's assignments.
2) How far do you have to travel for those jobs ?
3) How many agencies do you have to signed up with to get that amount of work?

4)Given the nature of the MOJ outsourcing system and the government’s budget cutting trend. What are your thoughts on the prospects of this profession?

Thanks very much for your time to sharing your experience

Michael
Collapse

yumedo
yumedo
Local time: 22:58
TOPIC STARTER
updates for my questions Aug 13, 2015

While I was on a couple of immigration tribunal assigments last week. I had done a few quick surveys with some interpreters and court clerks. the clerk said she hardly saw any Chinese face interpreters there,reflecting the harsh reality of the market demand for my language (Chinese).
In term of other languages . one guy (Hindu) said that he average had one assignment per month from *******( the only major outsourcer for legal interpreting), perhaps he was being too picky, but being in
... See more
While I was on a couple of immigration tribunal assigments last week. I had done a few quick surveys with some interpreters and court clerks. the clerk said she hardly saw any Chinese face interpreters there,reflecting the harsh reality of the market demand for my language (Chinese).
In term of other languages . one guy (Hindu) said that he average had one assignment per month from *******( the only major outsourcer for legal interpreting), perhaps he was being too picky, but being in the tie 1 , I suppose he only take the top jobs . another guy (also Hindu) was much more down to earth, he kept looking up on his mobile phone every other few minutes for new assigments from ******** .when I looked at his job broad ,work volume was not so impressive ,jobs with over 3 hours duration were few and far between, no more than 2-3 jobs a week, and this guy works exclusive for *******. How on earth he could survive?

[Edited at 2015-08-14 19:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-15 21:09 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what are the prospects of working as an interpreters in the legal sector

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »