Karolina Łachmacka
Karolina Łachmacka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:40
English to Polish
+ ...
May 30, 2015

Hello dear members,

First of all, I want to introduce myself as this is the very first post on the forum I write. My name is Karolina and I am a young translator and interpreter, native Polish language speaker whose B language is English.

I am writing here since I really count on your experience and advice. I am interested in taking the DPSI exam next year and I have already found a nice online course to prepare with. My question is if you believe it is possible for som
... See more
Hello dear members,

First of all, I want to introduce myself as this is the very first post on the forum I write. My name is Karolina and I am a young translator and interpreter, native Polish language speaker whose B language is English.

I am writing here since I really count on your experience and advice. I am interested in taking the DPSI exam next year and I have already found a nice online course to prepare with. My question is if you believe it is possible for someone outside of the UK to start their interpreting career in London after passing this exam without previous experience in this country? My dream is to work in London and I am currently doing my best to improve my skills and I really want to do my best with the course. I know that first I need to pass the exam, but I am interested in the prospects for a newcomer with such a diploma. I realise that one needs to have to be really skilled to pass this exam, however I am interested in getting to know the business there, making a good research.

Many thanks in advance for every piece of advice!
Collapse

MsYvaine
MsYvaine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hello Jun 1, 2015

This maybe useful for you: http://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/downloads/how-to-become-a-public-service-interpreter/
Anyway, I think that having a business in interpreting and or translation is really necessary these days next to being a public service interpreter. There are a lot of polish interpreters on the national register, you can check yourself, s
... See more
This maybe useful for you: http://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/downloads/how-to-become-a-public-service-interpreter/
Anyway, I think that having a business in interpreting and or translation is really necessary these days next to being a public service interpreter. There are a lot of polish interpreters on the national register, you can check yourself, so competition is relatively fierce. I think it wouldn't be viable to be 'only' Dpsi. Regarding experience, well, to be able to pass the exam you definitely need to have experience, not necessarily in London or in the UK, but interpreting and translation experience. And the same goes as per starting a career in London, translation and interpreting done prior to moving here definitely count.
I am not sure if you are aware of this, but to pass the exam you'll need to be in the UK for at least 2-3 days. It starts with a writing component for everybody then groups of languages follow during the week and there may be a 2-3 day gap between written and oral exam. Also, I'm not sure if you can register from outside the UK, check with them before you apply.
Regarding research, I'd start with online research, there are a lot of interpreters/translators online with their websites full with useful advice and by looking at them, they could provide valuable information what the market is like here.
Hope it helps, but let me know if you'd like to know more.
Monika
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it is possible Jun 21, 2015

Go for it. If you arrive in London with the DPSI exam already under your belt, you will be able to start working at the top end of public service interpreting as this qualification is the highest available and most widely recognised in the industry.
I regularly meet 'fresh off the boat' (sorry, sorry, their countries of origin) interpreters who nevertheless manage to 'jump the queue' to the top of the profession if they hold valid qualifications.

Karolina Łachmacka
Karolina Łachmacka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:40
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Jun 22, 2015

Hello once again and thank you both for your comments. I truly appreciate all the advice I get. I was quite worried that even with such a qualification it can very hard since I have no experience in the UK. I know there are no beds of roses, however, I want to work hard. Once again thanks for all the info.

I have decided to take a DPSI course at http://www.dpsionline.co.uk/ as I have come across
... See more
Hello once again and thank you both for your comments. I truly appreciate all the advice I get. I was quite worried that even with such a qualification it can very hard since I have no experience in the UK. I know there are no beds of roses, however, I want to work hard. Once again thanks for all the info.

I have decided to take a DPSI course at http://www.dpsionline.co.uk/ as I have come across many positive comments on their offer and attitude. I am sure that I am taking the legal route, but I think that, in the future, I may also try the health path.

If any of you happen to have any comments, please do not hesitate, as I appreciate every single one.

Thanks once again!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI and the career of an interpreter in London

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »