Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:32
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2015

Hello!

I'am a passionate interpreter and I really love what I do. I've started working a few months ago as freelance and I always want to act as a professional interpreter but sometimes this means losing clients.
As I am still a beginner I'm often asked to interpret alone in the booth (!!!) or to travel with no refund of expenses (!!).
When I explain that there is no way I'm going to interpret alone in the booth or travel without refund most of the clients just say "good
... See more
Hello!

I'am a passionate interpreter and I really love what I do. I've started working a few months ago as freelance and I always want to act as a professional interpreter but sometimes this means losing clients.
As I am still a beginner I'm often asked to interpret alone in the booth (!!!) or to travel with no refund of expenses (!!).
When I explain that there is no way I'm going to interpret alone in the booth or travel without refund most of the clients just say "goodbye".

What is the best way to be professional without losing clients?

Thanks for your help!

Martina

[Modificato alle 2015-03-10 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Martina. If you cannot do the kind of job Mar 10, 2015

a particular client requires, there is no way you can keep such a client. They have to find someone else who can do the job. This is the way of life. if you are nice, and sound professional they may offer you other types of jobs in the future, such that you are capable of doing.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Do not waste your time Mar 10, 2015

with this type of ''clients'' or feel guilty for turning them down.

You are a professional precisely because you know it's impossible to interpret alone in the booth and precisely because you know that travel time and expenses have to be reimbursed. If they don't like that, just tell them to come round your house and hold the meeting there

On a more serious note, the AIIC website has a load of very useful
... See more
with this type of ''clients'' or feel guilty for turning them down.

You are a professional precisely because you know it's impossible to interpret alone in the booth and precisely because you know that travel time and expenses have to be reimbursed. If they don't like that, just tell them to come round your house and hold the meeting there

On a more serious note, the AIIC website has a load of very useful articles and model contracts that you can use and/or apply in your communications with your potential clients that will show your level of professionalism and will let them know this is not a hobby.

Smile and move on
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Professional Mar 10, 2015

What it means is upholding professional standards and not allowing yourself to be squeezed. You do not need clients that squeeze you into working under substandard conditions,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

be professional without losing clients

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »