Thread poster: DS Trans
Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I find it funny Nov 28, 2014

how only those who did not get training think they do not need it. Those who did get training, see straight from day one exactly why they needed it.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Some of us cotton on pretty quickly Nov 28, 2014

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:
how only those who did not get training think they do not need it. Those who did get training, see straight from day one exactly why they needed it.

As someone who tried it without training (as a favour to the manager of the agency who first gave me a foot in the translation/teaching door), I can tell you I very quickly learnt that lesson. I didn't fail miserably in the eyes of my clients, who were actually very happy, but I myself knew only too well that I wasn't giving a professional service.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is harder than I thought it would be Nov 28, 2014

I had to do it some years ago, working for a company as an employee. There was a meeting where Russians were invited. I was asked by my boss to interpret from Russian into English and vice versa, both being my source languages.

I got through it and the audience was happy, but just as Sheila pointed out, it was like "patching", rather than providing the service.

I found two main difficulties:

1. The "wordiness" factor: since I was not able to convey the mes
... See more
I had to do it some years ago, working for a company as an employee. There was a meeting where Russians were invited. I was asked by my boss to interpret from Russian into English and vice versa, both being my source languages.

I got through it and the audience was happy, but just as Sheila pointed out, it was like "patching", rather than providing the service.

I found two main difficulties:

1. The "wordiness" factor: since I was not able to convey the message concisely, I was using five time as many words as the source text contained, to make sure the audience got the message. I attribute it to the lack of experience, but it can be anything. I just would not stop talking.

2. The "workload" factor. Half an hour into it, I felt like I was fighting a raft of fully armed penguins in the icy waters of Antarctica. I was totally bushed. The thing is that I can keep translating for full 10 hours without serious pauses. Half an hour into interpreting, and I almost kicked the bucket.

I enjoy public speaking (presentations in front of a large audience), have done it many times and that particular time I new perfectly the subject matter field. However, it was the hell of an experience. I cannot say I disliked it, but I found it hundred times harder than translating. My complements to all those awesome folks who have it as a profession!

[Edited at 2014-11-28 12:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-28 12:52 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for guidance regarding interpretation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »