"Relief" Interpreting
Thread poster: ultramar
ultramar
ultramar
United States
Nov 17, 2014

Hi there,

I'm a certified Spanish medical interpreter (CMI) currently living/working in Boston and considering relocating to California.

I've noticed a few job openings (especially at Stanford Hospital) for 'relief' interpreters -I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience of doing this: how often you get work as relief, for how long at a time, under what circumstances? (i.e. if you will often substitute for a staff interpreter who is on a week-
... See more
Hi there,

I'm a certified Spanish medical interpreter (CMI) currently living/working in Boston and considering relocating to California.

I've noticed a few job openings (especially at Stanford Hospital) for 'relief' interpreters -I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience of doing this: how often you get work as relief, for how long at a time, under what circumstances? (i.e. if you will often substitute for a staff interpreter who is on a week-long vacation, or often only a day at a time if they happened to be short-staffed, etc.).

In Boston, we don't have the position of 'relief interpreter,' or not per se -any information would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask Nov 18, 2014

Ask Stanford Hospital, there they can give you the answer. The crowd cannot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Relief" Interpreting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »