Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Interpreting for court for the first time
Thread poster: Zeen
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Opinion of Attorney General May 8, 2012

Responding to a letter from Labour MP Emily Thornberry, Dominic Grieve, Attorney General, said […]”in cases of individual contempt, in which an interpreter failed to interpret either fully or accurately and therefore broke the oath to 'well and faithfully interpret and true explanation make' such a failure could potentially amount to a contempt of court which would be addressed summarily by the Presiding Judge or magistrate”.

Does his opinion matter to you?

Mimi McQuaid
Mimi McQuaid
Local time: 19:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Has it really come to this?? May 8, 2012

I don't usually get involved in these debates but I simply can't believe what I just read here.

Ania Heasley wrote:

As long as they interpret TO THE BEST OF THEIR SKILL AND UNDERSTANDING no breach takes place.

Everybody makes mistakes.

To me, the above quote neatly and depressingly sums up the attitude of those involved in interpreting services for the UK courts at the moment - accuracy isn't that important, it doesn't matter; as long as you make a half-decent stab at it you're OK and it doesn't matter too much if you get things wrong.

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:00
English to Polish
+ ...
Contempt May 8, 2012

It does.

What I can't understand is why you are trying to discourage a fully trained (DPSI) interpreter from taking up an opportunity to start working as a court interpreter....

As you said yourself - everybody has to start somewhere.

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
DPSI May 8, 2012

With all due respect, the author of the thread does not mention if he/she has a DPSI in Health, Local Government or indeed English/Scottish Law.

It's not a case of encouraging or discouraging someone, it's a case of assessing their own abilities for an important job if someone clearly states they have no confidence in their interpreting abilities. It's looking at a bigger picture and making a decision based on everything mentioned here.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Nobody is discouraging May 8, 2012

...but when the OP has said

That's mainly because I have no confidence in my interpreting abilities and I just think I'll freak out and it'll be a living nightmare.

and is even considering sending a friend. You have to balance whether they are really prepared and up for the task at hand.

It's essentially irrelevant how well they are trained, it's about confidence, confidence in themselves and in their abilities. If someone lacks so much confidence, then they are clearly not ready to commit themselves to the task.

There's no shame in that.

To admit when you might be getting yourself into a situation above your head and to graciously bow out is actually the professional thing to do.

The OP might be DPSI trained, but it's not an automatic "pass" to being ready for such high profile, high stress, high stakes work.

I think the OP should think long and hard whether they are really up for the job and if not, pass it up and work on building your confidence through the various methods already suggested by other posters (visiting courts, another course, practice terminology etc etc).

[Edited at 2012-05-08 11:48 GMT]

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Confidence May 8, 2012

How else to build up confidence if not by getting experience?

An opportunity has arisen, to start getting experience and as a result, confidence, why not take it.

I truly do not understand your reasoning, our 'ideological' (joke, joke!) differences aside, I really cannot see how advice not to take a job opportunity is going to help Zeen or indeed anybody else in similar circumstances, to get out of their current stalemate and start moving forward towards greater expe
... See more
How else to build up confidence if not by getting experience?

An opportunity has arisen, to start getting experience and as a result, confidence, why not take it.

I truly do not understand your reasoning, our 'ideological' (joke, joke!) differences aside, I really cannot see how advice not to take a job opportunity is going to help Zeen or indeed anybody else in similar circumstances, to get out of their current stalemate and start moving forward towards greater experience, greater confidence and career success...
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post requested to be removed (edits not allowed in a locked thread)
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for court for the first time

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »