BBC Radio 4 "Word of Mouth" programme looks at interpreting
Thread poster: Buzzy
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 20:45
French to English
May 3, 2012

Probably not much to learn for people on Proz, but interesting all the same and may raise some awareness of certain issues!
The programme lasts half an hour and you can listen online for the next few days here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01gvn2h/Word_of_Mouth_Interpreting/

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very aware... May 3, 2012

You might want to catch up with the discussion: http://www.proz.com/topic/203314

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:45
Spanish to English
Duh May 3, 2012

I posted this also, sorry. I'm not an interpreter and don't subscribe to this forum, so forgot to think that someone else might have beaten me to it.

Kaisa Azriouli
Kaisa Azriouli
Finland
Local time: 21:45
Finnish to English
+ ...
About "Word to Mouth"-programme May 3, 2012

Interesting and about the essentials from the process of interpreting; it's far more complicated than mere words would imply and really as psyche attaced as the document tells it to be. None of the factors having their impact on the outcome of interpretation brought out in the programme shouldn't be ignored.

[Edited at 2012-05-03 19:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-03 19:55 GMT]

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
"Duh" myself May 4, 2012

Lesley, I didn't see your post! Maybe mine was being "moderated" when you posted?
I'm an occasional interpreter for the court in France, but didn't know all that much about the situation in the UK. Thanks Parrot for the link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BBC Radio 4 "Word of Mouth" programme looks at interpreting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »