"That's a big Asian dude," Yu Darvis mistranslated after baseball game?
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2012

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-henson_yu_darvish_rangers_debut_translation_030712

Did Yu Darvis say, "I don't think he hit it squarely," or, "I don't think he got me"?

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:04
Japanese to English
Can't tell for sure. Mar 9, 2012

I wouldn't know without watching the original video, but nouns and pronouns are commonly left out in Japanese without affecting the meaning of the sentence. The subject/object is usually clear from the context. There are a lot of homonyms as well, especially when you factor in slang. So Furukawa's translation could very well be technically correct (on paper) and yet completely inaccurate depending on the context.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Press looking for controversy Mar 9, 2012

Thanks for your input.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal per se. I think they are looking for a way to get this guy's name in a headline.

I look forward to seeing if he is Big League material. The most likely scenario is that he'll be better than average, but not dominant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"That's a big Asian dude," Yu Darvis mistranslated after baseball game?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »