Thread poster: Nohora Groce
Nohora Groce
Nohora Groce  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2012

I need your opinion on how much will an interpreter charge per hour in the U.S if the job implies almost 4 hours travel?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Travel Mar 2, 2012

Travel is usually paid 50% of the interpreting rate in the U.S.

Nohora Groce
Nohora Groce  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 2, 2012

Thanks for your answer. This will be an interpretation of only 1 hour but I will have to travel 2 hour to get there and other 2 back home, is in a Ranch in the middle of no where. I don't know if really worth it. They offer to pay for the mileage.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
1 day Mar 2, 2012

Nohora Groce wrote:

Thanks for your answer. This will be an interpretation of only 1 hour but I will have to travel 2 hour to get there and other 2 back home, is in a Ranch in the middle of no where. I don't know if really worth it. They offer to pay for the mileage.

If you'll be spending (basically) a day on this assignment, you should charge your full day rate.

Have you or the client considered whether this could be handled over the phone? In a situation where the only other option is a long travel distance for a short assignment, it might be work looking into.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Mar 2, 2012

I agree with Rudolf. If you wanted to go a little easy on them, you could maybe charge 3/4 of your regular day rate. You´ll spend close to six hours, because when going to any interpreting assignment it is always advisable to shedule yourself to arrive early due to possible traffic delays and to have time to familiarize yourself with the situation, subject and people before starting.

I do not agree with 1/2 regular rate for travel time. Your time is worth what you normally use it f
... See more
I agree with Rudolf. If you wanted to go a little easy on them, you could maybe charge 3/4 of your regular day rate. You´ll spend close to six hours, because when going to any interpreting assignment it is always advisable to shedule yourself to arrive early due to possible traffic delays and to have time to familiarize yourself with the situation, subject and people before starting.

I do not agree with 1/2 regular rate for travel time. Your time is worth what you normally use it for, which is paid at your regular rate.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:45
Romanian to English
+ ...
different opinion Mar 3, 2012

Although I charge $75/hr. with a minimum between 2-3 hours, for travel time I charge only $12.50/hr + the accepted IRS rate for per mile ($.47) + tolls & parking.
I your case, I agree with Rudolf and I would suggest the telephonic instead.

Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpretation fees and travel time

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »