sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2012

Hello,

I am going to start preparing for certification as a Portuguese legal interpreter in the US and am looking for a good dictionary. I have the Interpreter's Companion in Spanish, which is fantastic, but I can't find anything similar in Portuguese (in fact everything available seems to be deeply flawed).

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Or will I have to take on the task of making it myself?)

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A legal dictionary... it's a start Mar 2, 2012

I've been generally happy with the Dicionário Jurídico Português-Inglês Inglês-Português by Maria Chaves de Mello (9th Brazilian edition, 2009).

The format is very different from The Interpreter's Companion, and it's specifically a legal dictionary (so don't expect the glossaries on weapons, drug slang, car crashes, folk medicine, etc.). But it's very useful when rendering legal/courtroom jargon or translating court documents.... See more
I've been generally happy with the Dicionário Jurídico Português-Inglês Inglês-Português by Maria Chaves de Mello (9th Brazilian edition, 2009).

The format is very different from The Interpreter's Companion, and it's specifically a legal dictionary (so don't expect the glossaries on weapons, drug slang, car crashes, folk medicine, etc.). But it's very useful when rendering legal/courtroom jargon or translating court documents.

As you've probably noticed, it's hard to find good PT<>EN reference materials. Maybe you will have to create your own. If so, maybe you can make some extra money by publishing it.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Marcílio Mar 3, 2012

My favourite legal dictionary is:
CASTRO, Marcílio M. - Dicionário de Direito, Economia e Contabilidade Inglês/Português/Inglês
Rio de Janeiro, Forense GEN, 2010

Similar to Chaves in that it is a legal dictionary, not an interpreter's companion - as I do translation but not interpreting I am not aware of the Interpreter's Companion as mentioned here.

On the plus side, it contains models of contracts, petitions etc and tips on simplification of legalese.
... See more
My favourite legal dictionary is:
CASTRO, Marcílio M. - Dicionário de Direito, Economia e Contabilidade Inglês/Português/Inglês
Rio de Janeiro, Forense GEN, 2010

Similar to Chaves in that it is a legal dictionary, not an interpreter's companion - as I do translation but not interpreting I am not aware of the Interpreter's Companion as mentioned here.

On the plus side, it contains models of contracts, petitions etc and tips on simplification of legalese. It also has a long list of additional references.

[Edited at 2012-03-03 03:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-03 03:34 GMT]
Collapse

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obrigada Mar 3, 2012

Thank you, that one does sound good!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese Legal Dictionary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »