ETI ESIT expectations on "future student's" language level
Thread poster: vasylmt
Jan 26, 2012

Dear Prozians,

I am sorry for the lack of concision, but, believe, I'm really stressed with the challenge I confront.

I have already a bachelor degree in translation and interpretation and in 6 weeks I'm going to have both the ETI and ESIT entrance exams. What level do "THEY" (ETI and ESIT) expect "the future student" to have?

I have almost one year of professional experience (mostly as translator) and the "clients" were always satisfied with my per
... See more
Dear Prozians,

I am sorry for the lack of concision, but, believe, I'm really stressed with the challenge I confront.

I have already a bachelor degree in translation and interpretation and in 6 weeks I'm going to have both the ETI and ESIT entrance exams. What level do "THEY" (ETI and ESIT) expect "the future student" to have?

I have almost one year of professional experience (mostly as translator) and the "clients" were always satisfied with my perfomance. In addition I'm a student at "Lettres Modernes" at a french university. This means that I study French litterature in French on the same level that the native speakers do.

So, I have russian as my A language, french (level C2 +) as my B language and english (between C1 and C2) as my C language and I keep on learning. Is that good enough?
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
Flemish to English
+ ...
My 2 cents Jan 27, 2012

At ETI you will have to translate quality newspapers from your source-languages into Russian. You'll get two hours to make those translations. Usually, there are some idoms in those texts or references to broadstreet newspapers (Le Monde) or magazines (The Economist) of 4-6 months ago.

You will also have to listen to texts of 6 minutes, read aloud.Tip: learn the consecutive system well, so that you can distinguish main points from issues of secondary importance and jump from one rea
... See more
At ETI you will have to translate quality newspapers from your source-languages into Russian. You'll get two hours to make those translations. Usually, there are some idoms in those texts or references to broadstreet newspapers (Le Monde) or magazines (The Economist) of 4-6 months ago.

You will also have to listen to texts of 6 minutes, read aloud.Tip: learn the consecutive system well, so that you can distinguish main points from issues of secondary importance and jump from one reasoning to another.

You may take note and you have to make a summary of those texts.
They deal with current events of about half a year ago counting from your exam-date. Would not be surprised if you got a text about Libya.
If you choose French B, you'll have to translate a texts from Russian into French.
No use of dictionaries allowed or other aids allowed.

Those translations and summaries are corrected with a fine-tooth comb.

If you pass, there is a six-minute text/speech read aloud. You can not take notes. You'll have to reproduce an oral summary of this text. The rest deals with current-day events.

--
At ESIT, you have the "préadmissibilité", which is a multiple-choice test, where you have to fill out what you know. Took such at test at an exam for another course.

Basically, this type of exam works like this:
+1 if what you fill out is correct, 0 you don't fill out anything -1 if you make mistakes.
You have to know the umpteenth meaning of words i.e. be good at synonims. So scan the exam paper, mark what you know and count if you have enough to reach the pass mark. Don't be lured into solving everything.

If you pass, the second part is pretty much the same as at ETI.

In summary, a highly cognitve knowledge of your languages as well as a good memory is required (and some dexterity at solving the "épreuve de préadmissibilité").

[Edited at 2012-01-27 08:07 GMT]
Collapse

vasylmt
vasylmt
TOPIC STARTER
the main question unanswered Jan 27, 2012

Thank you for your response - it's really useful, but the question was wheather my language level is proficient enough.

?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
Flemish to English
+ ...
Your decision Jan 27, 2012

vasylmt wrote:

Thank you for your response - it's really useful, but the question was wheather my language level is proficient enough.

?

That is up to you to decide if you will if it a go now or one year later after having extensivly read LeMonde and theEconomist and having looked up all words and expressions you don't know as well as their Russian equivalents, after having mastered consecutive and after having done some memory-training. In six minutes a lot of words can be uttered.
Neither programmes will be abolished, like the one at Westminster.
My favorites speaker at the E.P. is Nigel Farage. His speeches are on youtube. You could try some of them as an exercise.

[Edited at 2012-01-27 12:31 GMT]

christela (X)
christela (X)
We won't be able to tell you Jan 27, 2012

We don't know nothing about your skills, but a small warning, these are not 'normal' MA programs. You will be competing with high profile students.

adpb (X)
adpb (X)
France
Local time: 02:32
English to French
It's secondary Mar 25, 2012

Hello,

According to your description, your languages do seem good enough, although there is no way to tell for sure, but if you've been working on them and have spent some time in an English-speaking country and have no trouble understanding the news on TV and papers such as the FT or the Economist, then I don't think you need to worry.

What is more important for you however, is the list of challenges that Williamson has rightly mentioned. No matter how good your langua
... See more
Hello,

According to your description, your languages do seem good enough, although there is no way to tell for sure, but if you've been working on them and have spent some time in an English-speaking country and have no trouble understanding the news on TV and papers such as the FT or the Economist, then I don't think you need to worry.

What is more important for you however, is the list of challenges that Williamson has rightly mentioned. No matter how good your languages are, you won't get in unless you can display the proper analysis skills sought by the jury. You would do well to work on that before the exams (for example, listen to 3- to 4-minute recordings and summarise them from memory).

I am not sure what christela meant when she said thata ETI and ESIT are not 'normal' MAs. I think they are perfectly normal and not so different from most other programs you find in Europe, or even in the world for that matter.
Collapse

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
skills Mar 28, 2012

In line with everyone else, we can't judge your language skills from here. But Williamson has described the ETI admissions procedure.

Keep in mind that they don't just look for language skills. They also look for interpreting aptitude- that is mental speed and dexterity, a general curiosity for world affairs, maturity, ability to take criticism, grace under pressure. They might ask you something totally random and weird about int'l politics just to see how you react. If you ge
... See more
In line with everyone else, we can't judge your language skills from here. But Williamson has described the ETI admissions procedure.

Keep in mind that they don't just look for language skills. They also look for interpreting aptitude- that is mental speed and dexterity, a general curiosity for world affairs, maturity, ability to take criticism, grace under pressure. They might ask you something totally random and weird about int'l politics just to see how you react. If you get it wrong, that is not a disqualifier. They also want to see that you are able to pick out the most important thing in the speech and decide what can be cut out or rephrased. The best advice for orals is to just pretend to be cool (you won't be, no one is, just pretend as best you can), and visualize everything they read to you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ETI ESIT expectations on "future student's" language level

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »