Farsi and Arabic conference interpreting courses
Thread poster: negartaym (X)
negartaym (X)
negartaym (X)
Jul 21, 2011

Hello,

I am thinking about taking a master of conference interpreting and I would like to have farsi within the language combination. I just can't find any masters programme with Farsi. There are some masters of translation which include Farsi, but conference interpreting with farsi?

If there is no official way of qualifying for conference interpreting in farsi, how does it work then? How do you proove your qualification?

The same with Arabic, I found the m
... See more
Hello,

I am thinking about taking a master of conference interpreting and I would like to have farsi within the language combination. I just can't find any masters programme with Farsi. There are some masters of translation which include Farsi, but conference interpreting with farsi?

If there is no official way of qualifying for conference interpreting in farsi, how does it work then? How do you proove your qualification?

The same with Arabic, I found the masters porgramme in Geneve, but you have to have Arabic or French or English as A-language. My A-language is German, and I have studied Arabic at University in Germany and in Egypt.

I actually don't know what the status of my Farsi is. I was born in Iran, grew up in Germany, but my Farsi is very good, as I have also studied it at University and I am using Farsi everyday.

I also know Turkish on a B2-level, so I searched for that also and found Bogazici Üniversitesi in Istanbul, but I'd love to have some combination with Farsi and/or Arabic.

Or what about for example taking the Master in Istanbul and taking extra language clases in Arabic and Farsi at the University (outside the Masters programme)? Would that qualify me for interpreting Farsi/Arabic although the Masters I would have done included Turkish, German and English for example?

Anyway, if anyone has ideas about these topics, I will be very grateful.

negartaym
Collapse

Lina Elhage-Mensching
Lina Elhage-Mensching  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:51
English to French
+ ...
German Arabic interpreting courses Jul 21, 2011

You do have German Arabic interpreting courses at the Oriental Institute of the University of Leipzig)

negartaym (X)
negartaym (X)
TOPIC STARTER
German-Arabic doesn't go with other languages Jul 22, 2011

yes, thank you. you're right. But as far as I understood, that mastersprogramme includes only Geman and Arabic, no other languages. For other languages you have to take another masters including French, English, Spanisch, Russian... So if you want to include Arabic then it's only German-Arabic.
Thank you anyway. I hadn't found that one.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
ISIT Paris Jul 22, 2011

ISIT in Paris often has "rare" languages offered or as a possibility. Write to them and see what they say or recommend. They might at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Kolay gelsin!

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 14:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
MA program in Arabic Interpreting at MIIS, Monterey, California Jul 22, 2011

Greetings... salaam...

If your circumstances allow, you might well look into the MA program in Arabic-English interpreting conducted by the Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS), Monterey, California, USA. MIIS added Arabic as one of the major L2, and MIIS may also be able to include options for Perisan.

Hope this helps... befarmaa'idtoon...

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

negartaym (X)
negartaym (X)
TOPIC STARTER
MIIS - is it worth the money? Jul 22, 2011

Hi Stephen,

shukran, thank you so much for your help!

I had noticed the MIIS before, but I didn't know Arabic was part of their program. Actually on their webpage they don't mention Arabic

http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/conferenceinterpretation

but then I checked theri course catalogue and there I found Arabic. ... See more
Hi Stephen,

shukran, thank you so much for your help!

I had noticed the MIIS before, but I didn't know Arabic was part of their program. Actually on their webpage they don't mention Arabic

http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/conferenceinterpretation

but then I checked theri course catalogue and there I found Arabic.

It is one of the most expensibe confernce interpreting programmes, right? one the webpage it say you need to spend about 50.000 $ per year (32.000 is just the tuition fee) and it is a two-years- programme. So I would have to get some kind of funding or end up totally indebted.

Do you have any experience about MIIS? Is it really as good as it claims to be?

Thank you again!

khodahafez,
negartaym

[Edited at 2011-07-22 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

ConfInt
ConfInt
Local time: 22:51
Farsi - ISIT Paris Mar 30, 2012

The only school in Europe that does conference interpreting with Farsi is ISIT in Paris. It has all the languages you've mentionned. Entrance is extremely difficult though, and actually getting ISIT's Master's degree is all but impossible.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
ISIT Mar 31, 2012

I wouldn't say getting a degree from ISIT is all but impossible.

Most CI programs have strict admissions policies and an elimination exam is more common than not halfway through. Difficult, yes, but not impossible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Farsi and Arabic conference interpreting courses

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »