Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >
Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK
Thread poster: Trans_Interp
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Trans_Interp
Trans_Interp

TOPIC STARTER
London Demo - 16th April Apr 14, 2012

A second protest is taking place in London on Monday.

Please see below the details and feel free to join us, you will see that contrary to what some people say we are not aggressive/rude. We are just a group of interpreters fighting for our rights.

Monday, 16th April 2012
Venue 1: Outside Ministry of Justice: 14.00-15.30 - 102 Petty France, London SW1H 9AH
Venue 2: Opposite House of Commons 15.45-17.30 (Old Palace Yard)

Thank you.

Trans_Interp
Trans_Interp

TOPIC STARTER
Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK Apr 14, 2012

For more information and regular news/updates please visit:
http://www.linguistlounge.org/index.php/news
http://professionalinterpretersalliance.blogspot.co.uk/
... See more
For more information and regular news/updates please visit:
http://www.linguistlounge.org/index.php/news
http://professionalinterpretersalliance.blogspot.co.uk/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/InterpretersGB
https://www.facebook.com/RpsiLinguistLounge

Twitter:
@InterpretersGB
@United4Justice
@RPSI_Lounge
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dear all Apr 15, 2012

Just a friendly reminder. This issue is important, but can be discussed without breaking http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 . Please keep this in mind.

Best,
Cecilia

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
French to English
You missed some Apr 16, 2012

Parrot wrote:

Just a friendly reminder. This issue is important, but can be discussed without breaking http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 . Please keep this in mind.

Best,
Cecilia

Why did you request me to edit some post mentioning the outsourcer by name (fair enough, those are the rules, everyone who cares knows who they are by now anyway), but then simply delete some others without offering me the opportunity to edit, and then leave some posts in here mentioning the same outsourcer by name to pass unmolested?
Consistency would be great.

I wonder whether this post will last, to be honest, although I like to think I'm not querying or challenging the decisions that have been made as much as I'm wondering about decisions that haven't been made

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry Apr 16, 2012

Will comply.

Just a remark, though. Problems related to this topic were discussed in an EU forum and no names had to be mentioned. Let's just keep the atmosphere constructive, okay?

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Fair enough Apr 16, 2012

Parrot wrote:

Will comply.

Just a remark, though. Problems related to this topic were discussed in an EU forum and no names had to be mentioned. Let's just keep the atmosphere constructive, okay?

So if you undelete the deleted ones I'll be only to happy to take the name out.
As I said to Jenny a few days back, I just assumed we got away with it in this one 'cos you would have to be living under a really big and well-sound proofed rock NOT to know who this thread is about

But I'm down with complying with the rules, naturally. So whack 'em back to life and I'll get weaving. You can undelete them, can't you... 'cos I've linked to this thread from several places to avoid repeating myself & I'll be ever so slightly annoyed if vast swathes of my outpourings have been consigned to a perma-dustbin.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
My post was deleted without ever mentioning names Apr 16, 2012

Not that is was in any way an important contribution to the discussion, but still

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've amended it Apr 16, 2012

I hit the wrong button.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Sorry, Hege Apr 16, 2012

Your post was deleted because you referred to my earlier post, which mentioned by name the company that sparked off the discussion.

Thank you, though, for this opportunity to point out again that the appropriate UK minister has confirmed that the same enterprise - no names, no pack drill - has won another important contract.

The issue is not, of course, the company concerned, or even the privatisation of formerly state-run services. It is the creation of a de facto mon
... See more
Your post was deleted because you referred to my earlier post, which mentioned by name the company that sparked off the discussion.

Thank you, though, for this opportunity to point out again that the appropriate UK minister has confirmed that the same enterprise - no names, no pack drill - has won another important contract.

The issue is not, of course, the company concerned, or even the privatisation of formerly state-run services. It is the creation of a de facto monopsony by placing all responsibility for both vetting linguists and purchasing language services in the hands of a single, and in practice unmonitored, operator. The conflict of interest is glaring and problems are inevitable.
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
This is indeed the core of the matter Apr 16, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

The issue is not, of course, the company concerned, or even the privatisation of formerly state-run services. It is the creation of a de facto monopsony by placing all responsibility for both vetting linguists and purchasing language services in the hands of a single, and in practice unmonitored, operator. The conflict of interest is glaring and problems are inevitable.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
?! Apr 16, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

For the same service, despite the fiasco?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Hi Rachel Apr 16, 2012

Rachel Fell wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

the same enterprise - no names, no pack drill - has won another important contract.

For the same service, despite the fiasco?

No and yes.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Double bubble Apr 16, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:
It is the creation of a de facto monopsony by placing all responsibility for both vetting linguists and purchasing language services in the hands of a single, and in practice unmonitored, operator. The conflict of interest is glaring and problems are inevitable.

You're right, of course, but in a way, that's only half the story. I think I referred some time ago (may be hidden at this precise moment while Parrot tries to get us to edit those three little letters out!) to the creation of the quasi monopoly, and that was only half the story too. This deal, it seems to me, is actually attempting both monopoly and monopsony at the same time: there are any number of "customers" (people in court & their legal reps) and any number of "suppliers" (interpreters) but the idea is (it seems) that all transactions between them pass via one private firm, making a monopoly in one direction and a monopsony in the other.

Where this role is played by the state, history shows sub-optimum outcomes.
In the hands of private operators.... well, we're seeing what can happen.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »