Marie Adamova (X)
Marie Adamova (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
English to Czech
+ ...
What goes around, comes around ... Apr 7, 2012

Dear Ania,
It takes some time when new NRPSI interpreter is established in databases of PS providers. It was the same in my case - I did not have many jobs my first year on register.

You have many jobs as most of us do not work at the moment. You can trust me that no named provider will be very happy to exchange you for new people who you probably train for them - interesting as you have no experience really with just three jobs at courts or police....
Regarding money
... See more
Dear Ania,
It takes some time when new NRPSI interpreter is established in databases of PS providers. It was the same in my case - I did not have many jobs my first year on register.

You have many jobs as most of us do not work at the moment. You can trust me that no named provider will be very happy to exchange you for new people who you probably train for them - interesting as you have no experience really with just three jobs at courts or police....
Regarding money matter - you probably missed some maths classes as no one could ever earn six figure income from PSI. Even well established conference interpreters mostly do not earn as much and PSI are well behind them.

Trust me - what goes around, comes around - the day you will regret your decision to join no named provider will come soon while you are now lining Wheeldon's pocket.
Oh, good luck with all your activities - you are probably multitalented and I have no idea when you have actually time to interpret. You strongly remind me well known no named provider "multilingual" who "speaks" 8 languages.

[Edited at 2012-04-16 20:39 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
This whole thread amazes me because ... Apr 7, 2012

Whatever people's opinions of XXX and the new system for court interpreters, this whole thread amazes me because, as I understand it, according to the Proz rules, we're not allowed to discuss an outsourcer by name in these forums ... but here we are, discussing XXX and its practices, motives, rates of pay, systems, etc. in considerable detail.
Comment est-ce possible?
Jenny

[Edited at 2012-04-17 05:49 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
I hope it's common sense Apr 7, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Comment est-ce possible?
Jenny

I think the spirit of the rule is to prevent unverifiable discussion of smaller operators, where such a discussion could potentially jeopardise its on going viability. I can see the reasoning. We all see threads where initially the agency seems like the devil incarnate, until the truth is teased out and the whole scenario proves actually ultimately quite reasonable. The damage caused if the agency were wrongly maligned in such cases could be considerable. The posters who get most annoyed about not being able to name are often the ones who need to take a step back, a deep breath, count to a hundred, and then post (without needing to name).

This framework agreement and the subsequent service provision is such a big deal (in the UK anyway) that not to allow discussion of it would be foolish in the extreme. Pretty much everything posted in here is public knowledge, which can be checked (or refuted, as in the 6-figure salary tosh). Everywhere else is abuzz with the story. Any translators' forum that refused to allow discussion of it would lose credibility. And traffic, of course

[Edited at 2012-04-16 13:53 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Point taken, Charlie Apr 7, 2012

I take your point Charlie and am not in the least against XXX's being discussed here in the present circumstances. I'm glad that Proz is allowing the rule to be relaxed; I was just surprised, that's all Yes, indeed, I've heard it being discussed on BBC Radio 4 and elsewhere.
Jenny

[Edited at 2012-04-17 05:51 GMT]

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
True colours Apr 7, 2012

The highly principled superior brand of interpreters are now showing what they are made of by
Stacking up personal attacks against me here. Marie, you go girl!

I am writing this while waiting for my third case today, so I do find time to work. As for the future nobody knows what will happen, but I am booked up to September now.

The pay could be better but as it is it is much better than the luinguistlounge.org brigade
Would have you believe.

... See more
The highly principled superior brand of interpreters are now showing what they are made of by
Stacking up personal attacks against me here. Marie, you go girl!

I am writing this while waiting for my third case today, so I do find time to work. As for the future nobody knows what will happen, but I am booked up to September now.

The pay could be better but as it is it is much better than the luinguistlounge.org brigade
Would have you believe.

I do not train interpreters for them. Anyway, make up your mind here, you claim their interpreters
Have had no training at all.

Over and out from me on the subject.

[Edited at 2012-04-16 15:53 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Your cup overfloweth now, but..... Apr 7, 2012

Ania,

Surely you realise that the reason you have so much work at the moment is because so few others are willing to work for **THEY, WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED**....on principle.
Should the wind change, you'll be back to 3 phonecalls a year.

In fact, according to the Framework Agreement:

Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
●Evidence that availability of all languages came from within a 25 mile radius

So, if they do ever get their act t
... See more
Ania,

Surely you realise that the reason you have so much work at the moment is because so few others are willing to work for **THEY, WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED**....on principle.
Should the wind change, you'll be back to 3 phonecalls a year.

In fact, according to the Framework Agreement:

Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
●Evidence that availability of all languages came from within a 25 mile radius

So, if they do ever get their act together and actually implement the Framework Agreement properly, you should never really be sent on any assignment that far away - the days of being inundated with work all over the place will be over.

Are you confident that - under that restriction - you'll still be so busy?

(Redacted) Framework Agreement:
http://www.contractsfinder.businesslink.gov.uk/~/docs/DocumentDownloadHandler.ashx?noticeDocumentId=17583&fileId=953a7a9e-5522-4e7c-8036-ea2d0775cec7

[Edited at 2012-04-17 08:07 GMT]
Collapse

Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
to Ania Apr 7, 2012

Ania, surely you must realise that you only have jobs now as we refuse to take them!!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Play nice Apr 7, 2012

I'm not the police, but as as was pointed out earlier today, that this thread is allowed shows some tolerance by the site. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into this thread, and I would be very disappointed if the thread were lost because a few people can't keep a civil tongue in their heads. If you want to be rude to people, get yourself on twitter and join the hilarious banter about Gavin W's accent. I disagree with Ania's stance entirely, and have sought to correct her on a few factua... See more
I'm not the police, but as as was pointed out earlier today, that this thread is allowed shows some tolerance by the site. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into this thread, and I would be very disappointed if the thread were lost because a few people can't keep a civil tongue in their heads. If you want to be rude to people, get yourself on twitter and join the hilarious banter about Gavin W's accent. I disagree with Ania's stance entirely, and have sought to correct her on a few factual points (as have others, and pointed out logical inconsistencies) but she's entitled to hold it without being abused.Collapse

Marie Adamova (X)
Marie Adamova (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
Nice one Apr 7, 2012

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I'm not the police, but as as was pointed out earlier today, that this thread is allowed shows some tolerance by the site. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into this thread, and I would be very disappointed if the thread were lost because a few people can't keep a civil tongue in their heads. If you want to be rude to people, get yourself on twitter and join the hilarious banter about Gavin W's accent. I disagree with Ania's stance entirely, and have sought to correct her on a few factual points (as have others, and pointed out logical inconsistencies) but she's entitled to hold it without being abused.

Charlie agreed, I will be nice next time ;o). I know I can do it! Seriously - thanks for your post.
Ad baboon on Twitter - it is much more than accent.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »