Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Unfortunately, I agree Mar 24, 2012

TransAfrique wrote:

I hate to say this, but I think THE COMPANY THAT CANNOT BE NAMED will get away with it in the end, penalty-free. It'll take a year or two, but the worst "interpreters" will be weeded out and the best ones will find other work to do, leaving them with the average interpreters and the new graduates for whom £16-£22 is the new standard. It's a battle of attrition, but as along as the government is so firmly on their side I don't see them losing.

My £0.02.

I simply cannot see the government going back on anything, in fact, I have never yet seen it happen. They know they are in the wrong but they will cover up as much as they can and muddle through. How long will it be before the interpreters decide they simply cannot afford to starve any more? This is a waiting game. The longer the MoJ drag their feet, the more impoverished the intepreters will get.

If only there was a way to put a real price to this farce. If we could demonstrate that a certain sum has already been wasted, point out exactly how many people are considering civil proceedings for the time they had to spend in custody... Although, as I said, MoJ would be a laughing stock it they backed out of the contract and there is no way they would allow it. They do not give a rat's hind leg about the justice system, their only consideration is to save their skin.

[Edited at 2012-04-16 13:45 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
No clarification at all Mar 24, 2012

Trans_Interp wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:
It's still not clear (to me) exactly to what extent XXXXXXXXX had this data in their own database and whether that was legitimate or not,

http://www.iol.org.uk/news/news_article.asp?r=PCXTAW1562

XXXXXXX, ...paid .... to have access to it. XXXXXXX subscribed to the Register from November 2007 to July 2008, and then again from February 2009 until the system of subscription ended in March 2011, and the Register became free to access and in the public domain via the NRPSI website.

Subscription to the Register was subject to compliance with the Terms and Conditions of Use .... right to access the data covered by the subscription was time-limited.

Now, I like to think, because it suits me, that this means that IF the compamny that got the contract (XXXXXXXX) had the data stored, they shouldn't have done. However, for a clarification, I'm afraid that, if I adopt or more neutral stance, it still seems to me that they haven't really clarified anything - they have confirmed XXXXXXXXXXX was within its rights to at least view this stuff (and therefore contact those who had agreed to be contacted by agencies). They could, I feel, have stated explicitly the rule on storing that data.

FWIW, I don't like the way this is shaping up:
http://cbavington.com/blog/2012/03/23/and-justice-for-all/

[Edited at 2012-04-16 13:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-16 13:49 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Forestry is our hope :) Mar 24, 2012

Burrell wrote:

I simply cannot see the government going back on anything, in fact, I have never yet seen it happen. They know they are in the wrong ...

See, now if we consider recent events, e.g. the NHS "reforms", I'd agree 100%. I see 2 rays of hope. One is the forestry privatisation, scrapped, albeit before contracts were signed. This govt can and does change its mind. See also child benefit, to an extent, come to think of it.

The second is that the lawyers are "suffering" too. I suspect their patience may be more limited, and their influence greater.

If you asked me to bet on the outcome, I'd probably bet with you. But I don't see the situation as definitely being a war of attrition until the private company that signed the framework agreement eventually win through. So, hope springs eternal

[Edited at 2012-04-16 14:52 GMT]

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I forgot the forestry Mar 26, 2012

You are right Charlie, I completely forgot about that one. Oh, well, maybe there is hope after all.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:36
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Am I too suspicious? Apr 3, 2012

How glad I am that I don't live in the UK any more, and that I am not an interpreter...

But I do have one question. Given this Government's propensity for privatising everything (yes, I do appreciate that it was a privatised service, but you know what I mean) while ensuring that their chums make wads of dosh out of every sale, I do wonder which of the Nasty Party's many cronies is getting the big handout for being the head of the guilty provider. Or am I just being unfair and suspic
... See more
How glad I am that I don't live in the UK any more, and that I am not an interpreter...

But I do have one question. Given this Government's propensity for privatising everything (yes, I do appreciate that it was a privatised service, but you know what I mean) while ensuring that their chums make wads of dosh out of every sale, I do wonder which of the Nasty Party's many cronies is getting the big handout for being the head of the guilty provider. Or am I just being unfair and suspicious?

[Edited at 2012-04-04 06:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-17 06:48 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Lobbying in support of the agency in question? Apr 6, 2012

Ania Heasley wrote:

Personally I joined {name of agency} about a month ago and it is proving one of the best decisions I made in a long while.

I believe that NRPSI was great for long serving old luvvies who have managed to work a nice cosy job for themselves over the years. I only joined the NRPSI just over a year before the {name of agency} took over, and in that year I received 3 , yes, t-h-r-e-e phonecalls offering court interpreting jobs. The market was oversaturated and stale.

Since joining {name of agency} I worked at court every day that I was available for work. They pay a week after completing the job. And contrary to various myths circulating widely, they do pay for court waiting time, they do reimburse train tickets, and they pay for travel time for assingments requiring long travelling times.

They deal with payment queries promptly and I can honestly say that they are one of the best agencies I have worked for.
I invoice a minimum of 5-6 agencies each month for F2F interpreting, telephone interpreting, translation and proofreading jobs, so I am able to compare them.

My advice would be all the registered PSIs, who are still mourning the passing of your 6 figure salaries, start working again, you are losing out.

Sorry Ania, but your entire piece sounds as if written on behalf of {name of agency} in order to strategically place a glorious review while there is overwhelming evidence (press coverage etc.) of this agency not getting their act together. Regarding myths, "six-figure salaries" is certainly one of the greatest ("salaries" is in itself a grossly misleading term because freelance interpreters are not salaried employees), and it doesn't get any more substantial by being repeated constantly.

[Edited at 2012-04-16 21:57 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Accusations of lobbying Apr 6, 2012

Steffen Walter wrote:
Lobbying? Sorry Ania, but your entire piece sounds as if written on behalf of the outsourcer...

Personally, I think accusing fellow ProZians of lobbying simply because their experience has been different than the yes-men in this thread is lame. There is no proof of lobbying here. One might as well wonder whether the me-too'ers in this thread are lobbyists for the Professional Interpreters' Alliance, having kept this thread alive for so long without actually adding new information to it.

[Edited at 2012-04-17 07:02 GMT]

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Semantics Apr 6, 2012

Salary, income, earnings, dosh, money in the bank, cash, dinero, a few bob, the exact word is not the point, just the amount. Which used to be nice and high and now it is going to be a little less.

Except this was only true to a certain group of interpreters on the NRPSI, the ones who joined a few years ago.

This is what this is all about, isn't it?

As a Polish, and possibly not only Polish saying goes: when you don't know what it is all about, it is alw
... See more
Salary, income, earnings, dosh, money in the bank, cash, dinero, a few bob, the exact word is not the point, just the amount. Which used to be nice and high and now it is going to be a little less.

Except this was only true to a certain group of interpreters on the NRPSI, the ones who joined a few years ago.

This is what this is all about, isn't it?

As a Polish, and possibly not only Polish saying goes: when you don't know what it is all about, it is always about money.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Never much doubt about it Apr 6, 2012

Ania Heasley wrote:

As a Polish, and possibly not only Polish saying goes: when you don't know what it is all about, it is always about money.

Given the point of the deal was to save 18 million quid, I think we can safely say that yes, this was originally all about the money. As is this government, exclusively. It knows of no other consideration to take into account. As are the contract-winning company, its chief exec and the outsourcing monster that bought it on 23 Dec 2011. It might be worth pointing out that the only reason you are getting paid for waiting time and travel time now is because of the fuss kicked up before you registered. Clearly the financial improvements offered by the company in question were intended to swing the balance and persuade a few more people they aren't all bad, and it looks like the package is acceptable to you. Great. It's good to hear from happy people. But you should also be aware that you do yourself no favours when you too spread untruths - never mind the word "salary"; the "six-figure" bit has been shown to be utter bilge several times over.

With you all the way on the unfunny fun-poking bit, though (http://cbavington.com/blog/2012/03/23/and-justice-for-all/).

[Edited at 2012-04-16 17:43 GMT]

akkek
akkek  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
ridiculous Apr 7, 2012

Ania Heasley wrote:

My advice would be all the registered PSIs, who are still mourning the passing of your 6 figure salaries, start working again, you are losing out.

After posting such wild and dangerous claims about 6 figure salaries, you dare to accuse anti-als "lobby" of "posting untrue, exaggerated and fun poking messages"?!

[Edited at 2012-04-07 09:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »