nms.translat (X)
nms.translat (X)
Spain
Local time: 18:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2009

Dear friends,

Lately, I have been pondering the idea of taking the European Master's in Conference Interpreting. I have finished my career (Translation and Interpreting at the University of Vigo) 3 years ago and I would like to improve my interpreting skills, for I have been mostly translating.

I would like to know if anyone has made this master in any European University so as to choose the best one. I heard that the best University for this are the ones from Genève
... See more
Dear friends,

Lately, I have been pondering the idea of taking the European Master's in Conference Interpreting. I have finished my career (Translation and Interpreting at the University of Vigo) 3 years ago and I would like to improve my interpreting skills, for I have been mostly translating.

I would like to know if anyone has made this master in any European University so as to choose the best one. I heard that the best University for this are the ones from Genève and Tenerife.
My mother languages are Spanish and Galician and I have very good skills in English, French and Portuguese. This makes it impossible for me to get into the Genève master, for example, for they do not accept Spanish as a first language.

So, I would like to know what is your oppinion about this Master, if you have done it, and what university you would recommend me taking into account what I have told you.

Thank you very much for all your comments.

Your sincerely,
Noelia Moreira
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Flemish to English
+ ...
Fast lane Apr 19, 2009

Westminster (1 year-8000 euros), U of Leeds (one year-6000 euros), ESIT (Paris, France, Sorbonne-about 650 euros), Officially two years, in practise mostly three), la Laguna (Tenerife) are some institutions which come to mind.
La Laguna (9 months costs 7000 euros). Have look at the CIUTI.org page, where you will find the members of the EMCI-consortium. If I am not mistaken, the university of Porto is on it too?

nms.translat (X)
nms.translat (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 19, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Westminster (1 year-8000 euros), U of Leeds (one year-6000 euros), ESIT (Paris, France, Sorbonne-about 650 euros), Officially two years, in practise mostly three), la Laguna (Tenerife) are some institutions which come to mind.
La Laguna (9 months costs 7000 euros). Have look at the CIUTI.org page, where you will find the members of the EMCI-consortium. If I am not mistaken, the university of Porto is on it too?

Hello Williamson,

Thanks for the website, I did not know about it. Also thanks for the information, though I am more interested about people's experiences in any of these masters (but it is always good to know the prices ). In Portugal, the only university offering the EMCI is the Univeristy of Lisbon.

Greetings,
Noelia Moreira

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
2 other links Apr 19, 2009

2 useful links :

http://interpreters.freeforums.org/portal.php where there is a link to a website with tips for wannabees.
http://www.emcinterpreting.org/

nms.translat (X)
nms.translat (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, again! Apr 20, 2009

I think the 2 links are very intersting and they will probably be very useful.

mike kelly
mike kelly
La Laguna - expensive Dec 21, 2011

why is the interpreting course in la Laguna, tenerife so expensive?

adpb (X)
adpb (X)
France
English to French
Spain? Mar 25, 2012

mike kelly wrote:

why is the interpreting course in la Laguna, tenerife so expensive?
Maybe because it is not funded by the Spanish government, unlike ESIT is by the French gvt...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Master’s in Conference Interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »