Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
English to Russian
+ ...
May 14, 2014

Dear colleagues! Дорогие коллеги!
I'm a Russian translator and started to learn Greek recently after a long break. I am a beginner and it's still difficult for me to find what I need in Greek forums and sites (I know how to use google search, but as a beginner I find it difficult to evaluate results in a foreign language). Could you please give me links to good online modern Greek dictionaries? I am specifically interested in a general (but big) Greek-Russian and Russian-Gree
... See more
Dear colleagues! Дорогие коллеги!
I'm a Russian translator and started to learn Greek recently after a long break. I am a beginner and it's still difficult for me to find what I need in Greek forums and sites (I know how to use google search, but as a beginner I find it difficult to evaluate results in a foreign language). Could you please give me links to good online modern Greek dictionaries? I am specifically interested in a general (but big) Greek-Russian and Russian-Greek dictionary (but Greek/English would be fine as well). I found one here: http://ru.glosbe.com/ru/el/словарь, but I don't know whether it's big and good (some entries have been a bit confusing so far). I'd appreciate if you also give me links to relevant forum threads, if any.
Thanks in advance!
Natalia

[Редактировалось 2014-05-14 19:01 GMT]
Collapse

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
try this one May 15, 2014

Hi Natalia
Try this one - it should be a decent starting point (and there are direct links to forums with discussions about various terms/translations etc.).

http://www.wordreference.com/engr

[and of course you can also select Greek to English]

Best of luck in your endeavors!
Renata

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ωραία! May 15, 2014

Ευχαριστώ πολύ!
I've checked several words, and found that additional sample phrases and sentenses are very useful. Just what I need!
By the way, which dictionary is the most popular among professional Greek translators (advanced users, not beginners)? Do you use any other online dictionaries or some specific software (a dictionary from a CD/DVD or something one can download etc.)? I am interested in both free and commercial options.

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
So glad it was helpful May 20, 2014

A popular dictionary is Magenta, which you can get from: www.magenta.gr - I believe they also have various specialized dictionaries as well.

There is an excellent dictionary shop here in Athens called "Lexikopoleio" (http://www.lexikopoleio.com) which also has an online shop.
Their client service is excellent
... See more
A popular dictionary is Magenta, which you can get from: www.magenta.gr - I believe they also have various specialized dictionaries as well.

There is an excellent dictionary shop here in Athens called "Lexikopoleio" (http://www.lexikopoleio.com) which also has an online shop.
Their client service is excellent as well - so you can ask them for recommendations or about speciic editions.
They have everything available from very general to extremely subject-specific editions.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2014-05-20 07:21 GMT]
Collapse

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:48
Italian to Greek
+ ...
linguee.com (EN to GR) May 26, 2014

I use www.linguee.com.

No Russian to Greek there but since English to Greek is fine, I wanted to let you know.

Good luck!

Magda

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Looking for Greek dictionaries

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »