How do you have your searched terms highlighted with Google search?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
Jan 2, 2019

I remember back in those years when I used Internet Explorer, I could have the terms I was searching automatically highlighted on the web-pages that contained the terms. I wonder if I could do the same with Google search with Chrome. If so, how?

Thank you for your advice.

[Edited at 2019-01-02 11:17 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's one way... Jan 2, 2019

jyuan_us wrote:
If so, how?

Well, I had a look, and I found that the search terms in a Google search are all marked as <em> and that no other text in the search is marked as <em>, so I thought: why not create a user CSS that highlights all instances of <em> text when the URL is a google search? In modern browsers, it's more difficult to edit user CSS yourself, so that means we're looking for a user CSS extension. I found one that works in my browser, Opera (might also work in Chrome), namely StyleBot (abandonware, web site on Wayback Machine), but I think others might also work (e.g. this).

In the extension's main settings, remember to tick "Allow access to search page results". Then go Options > Styles > Add new style. The URL is "https://www.google.com/search" and the style is "em {background-color: #FFFF00;}".

Unfortunately this highlights the terms that Google thought you had wanted to search for instead of the terms that you had actually searched for:

highlight google

It also highlights phrases (if you searched for phrases). However, doesn't highlight terms when they're part of page titles, because page titles are <h3> in the search results, and unfortunately <h3> don't get <em>.

Oh, by the way, in my browser (Opera), if you press Ctrl+F to do a page search and then type or paste the words you're looking for, Opera highlights all of them on the page automatically (and shows you in the scroll bar where those highlighted instances are). Vivaldi does it took. Firefox can also sort of do it, but you have to select "Highlight all" after you did a search, and Firefox doesn't show you the location of found instances in the scroll bar like Opera does.

[Edited at 2019-01-02 10:48 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your quick reply, Samuel Jan 2, 2019

Reading your reply, I realized I didn't name the browser I used. It is Chrome.

I'll try the method you've mentioned on Chrome.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 05:50
English to Russian
+ ...
It's simple Jan 2, 2019

Open the page and press C+F. The Find field will open in the upper right corner, type your term and you'll get it highlighted throughout the page (text) plus the number of found instances. A small arrow will help you to scroll down and get to each instance of the term use in a sentence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you have your searched terms highlighted with Google search?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »