Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

This "technical" question is so embarrassing I'm afraid to ask it. I wanted to put a photo from a digital camera on the profile, but it was refused because it was too big. I have been through Nero PhotoSnap, WebGraphics Optimizer 4.2, Irfanview and one or two others, but I just CANNOT get the thing reduced to acceptable proportions. Either it turns it fuzzy or it says it's reduced, and then it isn't. Is there some ultra-simple way of carrying out this ultra-simple task? Please tell me there is.<... See more
This "technical" question is so embarrassing I'm afraid to ask it. I wanted to put a photo from a digital camera on the profile, but it was refused because it was too big. I have been through Nero PhotoSnap, WebGraphics Optimizer 4.2, Irfanview and one or two others, but I just CANNOT get the thing reduced to acceptable proportions. Either it turns it fuzzy or it says it's reduced, and then it isn't. Is there some ultra-simple way of carrying out this ultra-simple task? Please tell me there is.

Thanks,

Mervyn
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I had the same problem Oct 16, 2008

Hi, Mervyn,

I don´t have a lot of experience with photo editing and didn´t want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get my photo to the right size, so I downloaded ThumbsPlus. This is shareware by Cerious (www.cerious.com) that you can install and use so easily that it´s hard to believe. Once installed, you´ll be able to reduce your photo without the need of a tutorial or user manua
... See more
Hi, Mervyn,

I don´t have a lot of experience with photo editing and didn´t want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get my photo to the right size, so I downloaded ThumbsPlus. This is shareware by Cerious (www.cerious.com) that you can install and use so easily that it´s hard to believe. Once installed, you´ll be able to reduce your photo without the need of a tutorial or user manual.
And it´s a relatively small package, so you won´t be taking up loads of hard drive space.
Sorry I sounded like I have shares in the company
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Reducing photo size for Proz.com profile Oct 16, 2008

Hi Mervyn,
Which programs do you have on your system? Making big assumptions here, but if you right click on the icon for the photo, do you get "Open with Microsoft Picture Manager" or anything like that? Worth a try if you have it.

When adding the photo via the ProZ "upload photo" feature make sure you have refreshed everything in the "file upload" window (right click -> refresh), so the image you are adding really is the latest version of the image.

Hope that he
... See more
Hi Mervyn,
Which programs do you have on your system? Making big assumptions here, but if you right click on the icon for the photo, do you get "Open with Microsoft Picture Manager" or anything like that? Worth a try if you have it.

When adding the photo via the ProZ "upload photo" feature make sure you have refreshed everything in the "file upload" window (right click -> refresh), so the image you are adding really is the latest version of the image.

Hope that helps,
Amy
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
formats Oct 16, 2008

You've probably done this already, but seeing as you mention fuzziness have you tried saving the reduced image in each of the allowed formats (.jpg, .gif, .png)? Worth trying.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Reduce size Oct 16, 2008

You can select a part of the image and save as jpg, where you are able to select the quality (3 is sufficient) or you can reduce the size of the image to the required format. Digital images today are huge, they do not fit on any normal screen when viewed 1:1.
There is a free version of Photoshop. Also Picasa has lots of functions.
Regards
Heinrich

PS you might send the image to my mail-address for adjustment

Heinrich

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Pix resizer Oct 16, 2008

I use Pix resizer.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's wrong about Windows' Paint? Oct 16, 2008

Honestly, to me the situation is quite simple (you don't need complex applications as suggested!):

1. Open the photo (as a JPG for instance) in Windows' Paint accessory application (Start > Programs > Accessories).
2. In the menu, Image > Change size or skew (I have it in Spanish so I am not sure this is what you have).
3. Change the size percentage values of the picture (if you have a camera with many megapixels, you might want to go down to 5% or 10% both horizontally
... See more
Honestly, to me the situation is quite simple (you don't need complex applications as suggested!):

1. Open the photo (as a JPG for instance) in Windows' Paint accessory application (Start > Programs > Accessories).
2. In the menu, Image > Change size or skew (I have it in Spanish so I am not sure this is what you have).
3. Change the size percentage values of the picture (if you have a camera with many megapixels, you might want to go down to 5% or 10% both horizontally and vertically).

This should do it! If you are not happy with the results, play with the percentages a bit.

(Edited to fix a typo).

[Edited at 2008-10-16 08:59]
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
PIX RESIZER Oct 16, 2008

YES, try that one. It's free too.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Oct 16, 2008

very much to everyone. Spoilt for choice. I really didn't know what to go for, so I did the simplest one, Amy's Picture Shop. I did have a photo up there for about five minutes, but I hope nobody saw it because I hadn't realised it was all fuzzed up. Something I forgot to do, maybe, but now there's floods of work coming in, all systems go, and I haven't time.

I'll get back on it at some point ...

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reducing photo size for Proz.com profile

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »