Mobile phone/blackberry security
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2008

Thought I'd share this article with you, on security issues with your old mobile phones and blackberries.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/25/news.mobilephones

"The point of this work is really to bring that across to people the risks that mobile phones present to their personal data." Of the devices in the survey, 7% had enough personal data on them for the individual concerned to have their identity stolen, and 7% would have allowed a corporate fraud to have taken place. Another 2% still had Sim cards in them, while 27% of the BlackBerrys in the survey had company data and 16% carried personal information.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:15
French to English
Interesting stuff Sep 25, 2008

I had always thought that "recycling" phones meant they got broken down into their component parts and melted down or whatever - y'know, like for recycling glass or paper or scrap metal.

Not that they got wiped with a damp cloth and sold on. I am not a little indignant to hear this. I suspect I may now decide to "recycle" my phone, when the time comes, with the aid of large hammer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mobile phone/blackberry security

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »