Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

My flatscreen was connected to my old Win2000 pc, and I had been working exclusively on my laptop since 2006.
Now I tried to connect the external screen (a 2003 model) to the external port of the laptop.
I had the laptop switched off, connected the external screen, switched it on and started XP Pro.

At first the initial screen appeared on the external screen, but suddenly it went dark and an icon with a pc and a screen and a broken wire appeared. In the display menu the
... See more
My flatscreen was connected to my old Win2000 pc, and I had been working exclusively on my laptop since 2006.
Now I tried to connect the external screen (a 2003 model) to the external port of the laptop.
I had the laptop switched off, connected the external screen, switched it on and started XP Pro.

At first the initial screen appeared on the external screen, but suddenly it went dark and an icon with a pc and a screen and a broken wire appeared. In the display menu the laptop is display 1 and display 2 is not in use.

So I don't know, if my external screen is an outdated model that is not compatible with XP or what is the reason. I had expected XP would find a new device, install it and so on, but no.
I tried twice, the same result.

Is anybody of you able to suggest what I should do? This is not important, I just wanted to try this out.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 09:17
German
+ ...
Check your display settings Sep 23, 2008

You should be able to set up the 2nd display via the Windows Control Panel. This usually allows you to specify whether you want the desktop to span two displays, clone the desktop, or enable only one of the displays at a time.

HTH,
Benjamin

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
2nd screen might need activation Sep 23, 2008

Hi Heinrich,
in your display menu, did you check if there is a box saying "extend desktop to this screen" or something similar. On my German Vista it is called ""Desktop auf diesen Monitor erweitern". If this is the case, just mark it with a mouse click and everything should be fine.
Siegfried

[Edited at 2008-09-23 11:56]

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Resolution Sep 23, 2008

I had a similar problem when connecting more than one monitor to my PC, which caused one of the screens to go blank. First of all, I updated the graphics card, but I still had the same problem. Afterwards, I found that the solution was to lower the resolution. Apparently, the graphics card was not very powerful to begin with, so it struggled even more with two monitors. After lowering the resolution, the second monitor "came to life".

To alter the resolution, right-click in Windows
... See more
I had a similar problem when connecting more than one monitor to my PC, which caused one of the screens to go blank. First of all, I updated the graphics card, but I still had the same problem. Afterwards, I found that the solution was to lower the resolution. Apparently, the graphics card was not very powerful to begin with, so it struggled even more with two monitors. After lowering the resolution, the second monitor "came to life".

To alter the resolution, right-click in Windows desktop, select "Properties" and then choose the "Setting" tab. There's a section called "Screen Resolution." Try lowering the resolution and see what happens. It might not work, but it's worth a try.

Simon
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
Just a thought Sep 23, 2008

Hi Heinrich,

I also have an old Sony flatpanel (probably 2001 or 02) connected to a laptop, and it works ok with Vista and XP.. But, it dosen't mean your FP works as well. It is always easier for a graphic card to identify one or the other. Is "an icon with a pc with a broken wire" coming from the monitor or the PC? Do you see the same icon when the monitor is not connected to a PC at all?

Usually, the graphic card's own program identifies an external monitor and perfor
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

I also have an old Sony flatpanel (probably 2001 or 02) connected to a laptop, and it works ok with Vista and XP.. But, it dosen't mean your FP works as well. It is always easier for a graphic card to identify one or the other. Is "an icon with a pc with a broken wire" coming from the monitor or the PC? Do you see the same icon when the monitor is not connected to a PC at all?

Usually, the graphic card's own program identifies an external monitor and performs better (color and resolurion-wise) than the native Windows "Display properties - setting" page. If your XP is factory-installed, chances are that a display control app from the graphic card manufacturer is also installed. Is there anything related listed when you right-click a screen - usually above "New". Or, from the Start menu or the Control Panel, you might spot such a program.

Or, if you know the card model, check the manufacturer's website to see if your monitor is supported.

Cheers,

Rie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

External display does not work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »