Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:51
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

Dear all,

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Yahoo.co.uk in Outlook Express. I can neither receive nor send any mails. I haven't touched my settings and 12 hours ago, everything was fine. The message I'm getting is:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 217.146.176.233 (217.146.176.233:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(S
... See more
Dear all,

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Yahoo.co.uk in Outlook Express. I can neither receive nor send any mails. I haven't touched my settings and 12 hours ago, everything was fine. The message I'm getting is:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 217.146.176.233 (217.146.176.233:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

When I open my account via a browser, there seems to be no problem. I've written to them, of course. No reply as yet, though. So was just wondering if I'm all alone in this and it's an individual problem? Or are there fellow-sufferers ou there - which would mean, I guess, that it's a Yahoo problem, which one hopes they're working on...

Best wishes,
Caryl
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Similar problem in a thread earlier today Aug 20, 2008

Caryl Swift wrote:

Dear all,

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 217.146.176.233 (217.146.176.233:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

When I open my account via a browser, there seems to be no problem. I've written to them, of course. No reply as yet, though. So was just wondering if I'm all alone in this and it's an individual problem? Or are there fellow-sufferers ou there - which would mean, I guess, that it's a Yahoo problem, which one hopes they're working on...

Best wishes,
Caryl

A similar thread on exactly this subject was started earlier today. Have a look at it. It seems that "service" providers are somehow disabling Outlook Express when they mess about with their own websites (or something) and haven't the time or inclination to put it right afterwards. My Outlook Express has been disabled for over a month since Orange withdrew all service for several days. Calling them costs 50p a minute (about $1) and doesn't produce a satisfactory answer.
Grumpily,
Jenny

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the thread! Aug 20, 2008

Hi, Jenny!

Yes, I found the thread just after I posted mine! Thank you, though.

The thing is, that now, having looked at the Yahoo! answers forums, there are literally dozens of people from all over the place having problems. If I don't hear back from Yahoo by tomorrow, I suppose I'll have to contact the service provider. I wonder what my chances are of actually reaching a human being, though...?

In the meantime, I'm kind of hoping that Yahoo are simply hav
... See more
Hi, Jenny!

Yes, I found the thread just after I posted mine! Thank you, though.

The thing is, that now, having looked at the Yahoo! answers forums, there are literally dozens of people from all over the place having problems. If I don't hear back from Yahoo by tomorrow, I suppose I'll have to contact the service provider. I wonder what my chances are of actually reaching a human being, though...?

In the meantime, I'm kind of hoping that Yahoo are simply having a problem with their POP server...

Thank you!

Caryl
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here (sort of) Aug 20, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

My Outlook Express has been disabled for over a month since Orange withdrew all service for several days. Calling them costs 50p a minute (about $1) and doesn't produce a satisfactory answer.

Funny that. I use Windows Mail (whatever that is - it's just 'there') and I can send and receive with Orange and Gmail, but my Yahoo settings haven't worked for a few months.

Not that I'm overly bothered, I can still check them all anyway. Might have a look at Thunderbird though...

Enza Longo
Enza Longo  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:51
French to English
+ ...
I'm having the same problem Aug 20, 2008

Hi Caryl,

I started a thread on the same problem yesterday which you must have seen by now. Anyhow, your service provider may help you reconfigure your settings, as mine did, so that you can at least send, but they told me that 'receiving' emails is Yahoo's problem, not theirs. In the meantime I'm going through the browser which a lot of other users are resorting to from the looks of it.
I'm still waiting for a reply from Yahoo - it's been over 24 hrs since I sent them an e
... See more
Hi Caryl,

I started a thread on the same problem yesterday which you must have seen by now. Anyhow, your service provider may help you reconfigure your settings, as mine did, so that you can at least send, but they told me that 'receiving' emails is Yahoo's problem, not theirs. In the meantime I'm going through the browser which a lot of other users are resorting to from the looks of it.
I'm still waiting for a reply from Yahoo - it's been over 24 hrs since I sent them an email!
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bit early to reconfigure? Aug 20, 2008

Hi, Enza

Yes, I did find your thread - and posted something there!

The thing is that I'm really against reconfiguring right now, since everything was working perfectly well less than a day ago - and especially since the Yahoo forums seem to suggest that it's a widepsread problem...

I'm still waiting for a reply from Yahoo as well. Mind you, if they fix the problem and everything start working again, that'll do just as nicely......
See more
Hi, Enza

Yes, I did find your thread - and posted something there!

The thing is that I'm really against reconfiguring right now, since everything was working perfectly well less than a day ago - and especially since the Yahoo forums seem to suggest that it's a widepsread problem...

I'm still waiting for a reply from Yahoo as well. Mind you, if they fix the problem and everything start working again, that'll do just as nicely...

Fingers crossed!
Caryl
Collapse

Enza Longo
Enza Longo  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:51
French to English
+ ...
problem resolved! Aug 20, 2008

Hi Caryl,

I just posted in the other thread that Outlook Express is now working so I'm presuming Yahoo is working on the problem and slowly getting everyone back on track. Hope you're next!

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Touch wood... Aug 20, 2008

...here too...

I was just about to come and write the very same thing to you! Thank you!

Caryl

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Yahoo! e-mail in Outlook Express

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »