Thread poster: Jacqueline Joëlle Cimatche
Jacqueline Joëlle Cimatche
Jacqueline Joëlle Cimatche
Local time: 07:58
English to French
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

Hi,

I have just received a translation project in PDF format. when I try to open it in TagEditor, I receive the following error message: " (8003) tagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised"
I need your help in this since I must deliver this project tomorrow by midday.
Thank you for your help.
I use SDL Trados 2007 Freelance

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Would you please use the forum search? Aug 5, 2008

PDF and editing (which is not possible) of such files is the most common topic on ProZ.
Sorry if it sounds harsh - but you should have checked this before you accepted the job.
You cannot edit PDF - and this is good so. PDF is a special format, designed to be shown in same way on any computer in the world and is not intended to be modified by its receiver.
What you can do is try to convert the PDF to Word - there are nume
... See more
PDF and editing (which is not possible) of such files is the most common topic on ProZ.
Sorry if it sounds harsh - but you should have checked this before you accepted the job.
You cannot edit PDF - and this is good so. PDF is a special format, designed to be shown in same way on any computer in the world and is not intended to be modified by its receiver.
What you can do is try to convert the PDF to Word - there are numerous tools, which can do that (but don't expect wonder). Please use the forum search also on that topic.
As your deadline is tomorrow, unfortunately the best you can do now is use Word to translate the PDF as it would be paper, as any other solution will not make you able to deliver tomorrow.

Once again, please forgive, if you find my posting harsh or offensive - but please take into account, that we have dealt with this topic here thousands of times before and may simply hope this should be wildely known.

PS
A simple look in the documentation of your program (File Formats Reference Guide or help) would give you the answer about supported file formats. PDF is an unsupported format. Period.

[Edited at 2008-08-05 20:51]
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Abby FineReader Aug 5, 2008

I recently updated to version 9 of this package (which you can do instantly on the web) and it is really good to convert pdf files to Word.

Good luck!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:58
Spanish
+ ...
Automatic search Aug 5, 2008

Hello Jacqueline,

Jerzy's right, this question has been asked ad infinitum. If you had used the search question you probably would have found this:

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

You have your own OCR if you're using Microsoft Office

START > PROGRAMS > MICROSOFT OFFICE > MICROSOFT OFFICE TOOLS > Microsoft Office Document Imaging

· Extract the images and save them as .TIFF
· Open Microsoft Office Document Imaging
· Import the first image
· Click on the icon "Recognize text using OCR"
· Now you can copy the text manually using the arrow "Select" or clicking the icon "Send text to Word"

A tip: Import .TIFF images one by one.

Post: http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/85864-word_count_in_images.html#687316

Not so long ago I suggested to have an automatic search function before a new thread is started. We already have it in the KudoZ system. Before a question is submitted, an automatic search is performed with the asked term or words, and the results are displayed above the search section. It could also be implemented into the Forums system, couldn't it?

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
New threads for old topics Aug 6, 2008

I've seen a lot of people complain about this, but I have a different view. First of all, it's no quick and easy task to search the forums for a topic, in fact it can be very time consuming. Second of all, a new thread about an old topic may turn up new solutions. My feeling is, if you don't want to read about the topic again (even with a new twist), you can always change the channel.

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »