Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2008

What is the best way to save ProZ.com forum posts (or anything else, for that matter), as text, so as to print them out for filing without all the html stuff in there that eats the toner in one's printer, and takes up more room in the file cabinet? (Yes, I'm old-fashioned. I use hard-copy files for some things!) Everytime I try to do this, I run into problems of one sort or another, which I eventually solve. But I'm sure there must be a sensible way to go about it.

(Sorry if it's a
... See more
What is the best way to save ProZ.com forum posts (or anything else, for that matter), as text, so as to print them out for filing without all the html stuff in there that eats the toner in one's printer, and takes up more room in the file cabinet? (Yes, I'm old-fashioned. I use hard-copy files for some things!) Everytime I try to do this, I run into problems of one sort or another, which I eventually solve. But I'm sure there must be a sensible way to go about it.

(Sorry if it's a dumb question!)

Susan
Collapse

Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
C/P to Notepad Jul 30, 2008

If you're just saving one post at a time, rather then a whole thread, simply copy the text of the post you want to print out, open up a basic TXT editor like Notepad (NOT Word), paste the text, and then print out the open Notepad file.

Is this what you meant?

[Edited at 2008-07-30 01:55]

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
PDF is a method Jul 30, 2008

You could also create a PDF of the page. The text would be searchable as well. Of course you'd get objects you're not interested in, but they could be deleted later directly in Acrobat.

Audrey Bernard-Petitjean
Audrey Bernard-Petitjean
France
Local time: 03:37
Member (2008)
English to French
Simply "save as" Jul 30, 2008

Hello Susan,

you can also save your webpage by choosing the "save as..." option in your internet browser, and then opting for a .txt format.

Good luck.

Audrey

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It's hardly noticeable but... Jul 30, 2008

...there's a "Print page" link in the lower right hand corner of each forum thread here.

With that, you can create uncluttered, small, searchable PDF files or just print the threads to paper if you prefer that.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-07-30 09:30]

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Print page! Jul 30, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

...there's a "Print page" link in the lower right hand corner of each forum thread here.

Good grief--that tiny little link does the job! My monitor is too small to see it without scrolling way down, but it's there. Thanks, Benjamin.

(Indeed, Andrew, I did want to save the whole thread, not just one post, so the C/P to Notepad wasn't working for me. Audrey, when I try to do it your way, just "Save As" from the browser, it doesn't give me an option for "txt." I had saved it in Open Office, highlighted the whole thing, opened Notepad, and tried to copy it into there, but ended up with all the html code, so that was no good either.)

Thanks to all who replied,
Susan

[Edited at 2008-07-30 14:55]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Print page link doesn't seem to work for me; but what's wrong with Word? Jul 30, 2008

Despite a Andrew's objection, that's the way I normally do it; copy (the whole page if you want), paste in Word, and you can save it as text from there if you want to.
Tried the link at the bottom of the page (I hadn't noticed it either), but nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with my printer, just checked in by printing a page from Word.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Browser? Jul 30, 2008

Which browser are you using, Jack? I'm using Firefox 3.01 and it works a treat.

Or, to be precise: it opens the page in a special, uncluttered view and then I can print using Firefox's regular "Print" feature.

[Edited at 2008-07-30 14:03]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, it does work Jul 30, 2008

Thank you. I also have Firefox 3.0.1, and it does work as you say. I didn't notice how it had rearranged the page the first time I tried it.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:37
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
yes. process. Jul 30, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Despite a Andrew's objection, that's the way I normally do it; copy (the whole page if you want), paste in Word, and you can save it as text from there if you want to.
Tried the link at the bottom of the page (I hadn't noticed it either), but nothing happens. There's nothing wrong with my printer, just checked in by printing a page from Word.

I do this way with any Internet stuff. I process in Word and then output to PDF or DOC, depending on the purpose it will be used in the future (I mean editability).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get Opera, and print BW Jul 31, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
What is the best way to save ProZ.com forum posts (or anything else, for that matter), as text, so as to print them out for filing without all the html stuff in there that eats the toner in one's printer, and takes up more room in the file cabinet?

Get a browser that allows you to deactivate images painlessly, like Opera. So, you deactivate images, and then print in black&white, then reactivate images, and continue browsing.

Also, in Opera you can set your print zoom to, say, 80%, so that you use less paper while the stuff is still readable (unless you have bad eyes).

Also, in Opera you can view the web page in "Print View" before printing it, so you can decide which pages you really want to print.

What's more, in Opera and FireFox you can select text in the browser, and when you print, it will print only the selected text if you choose "Selection" in the print dialog. In my Opera, the option "Selection" is automatically chosen if there is a selection, but in my FireFox, I have to manually choose the "Selection" option, but then it works. I'm not sure about IE... I don't use IE.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Not "txt" but "HTML only" Aug 4, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
Audrey, when I try to do it your way, just "Save As" from the browser, it doesn't give me an option for "txt."

The "Save as type" option to use is "Web page, HTML only". That saves all the text and HTML tags but none of the graphics, so it typically takes much less space on the disk than the option "Web page, complete". It also gives you only one file, whereas saving the complete web page gives you an HTML file and a folder called
your-htm-filename_files
and containing all the graphics. When you open the saved file with a browser you can usually follow the thread just as easily as if the pictures were also saved (this works for Internet Explorer and FireFox, anyway, and probably for Opera).

Oliver

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't save as "web page HTML only" Aug 5, 2008

Dear Oliver,

So I right-click on this ProZ thread, choose "save page as...," and the only options I'm given are where to PUT the file, not HOW to save it. There is no other relevant option from right-click. I must be doing something wrong.

I'm using Firefox with Linux.

Thanks,
Susan

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
How to save an HTML file as text? Aug 5, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

So I right-click on this ProZ thread, choose "save page as...," and the only options I'm given are where to PUT the file, not HOW to save it.

Bottom right-hand corner of the dialog, above the Cancel and Save buttons. Default is Web Page, HTML only.

Marc (Linux + Firefox 2.0.0.14)

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Is FireFox different under Linux? Aug 5, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
Dear Oliver,
So I right-click on this ProZ thread, choose "save page as...," and the only options I'm given are where to PUT the file, not HOW to save it. There is no other relevant option from right-click. I must be doing something wrong.
I'm using Firefox with Linux.

I don't know how FireFox for Linux differs from FF for Windows. In my case (Windows) I right-click somewhere on the page, or use the File menu to select Save Page As, and the "Save as" dialog box has two fields at the bottom: one for the filename and one for "Save as type", with a drop-down list that includes "Web page, HTML only" (it also includes "Text files" in my case).

According to the online support:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using%20Firefox

saving this way is possible.

If it doesn't work as I describe, then perhaps there's another way of doing it with Linux FF (but that would surprise me).

A thought: if your FF for Linux will really only save the complete page with pictures, try saving it like that and then deleting the pictures (perhaps they're in a newly created directory, as with Windows), leaving only the HTML file. Then, when you open that HTML file with the browser, it should display little icons to indicate the missing pictures, and the rest of the page should be more or less the same as the "HTML only" version.

Further thought: has somebody been tampering in your copy with the many configuration options available in FireFox and turned off this option? I'm not sure if that's possible, but I do know that many little features and options can be turned on or off. If you type
about:config
in the address bar you'll see the page of options and preferences which might include this problem (I haven't found it myself, in a search of that list for a few seconds). To modify one of them, double-click it, but be careful!

HTH,
Oliver

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to save an HTML file as text?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »